SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Focusser - seems a bit coarse - any solutions?

I don't know if it is a 'real' problem, but would it make sense if I said that I felt the focuser on my telescope seems a little 'coarse'?  It's almost as though it adjusts in tiny notches, and sometimes when I'm focussing on something I find myself wishing that the focus was a bit 'smoother'  Almost like the smooth sort of adjustment you get in a camera lens.  Does that make sense as an observation and can changes be made to make the focuser on the telescope run, I guess 'smoother' is the word I am looking for - i.e. to be almost infinitely adjustable - if so, how please? 

21 minutes ago, JOC said:

I don't know if it is a 'real' problem, but would it make sense if I said that I felt the focuser on my telescope seems a little 'coarse'?  It's almost as though it adjusts in tiny notches, and sometimes when I'm focussing on something I find myself wishing that the focus was a bit 'smoother'  Almost like the smooth sort of adjustment you get in a camera lens.  Does that make sense as an observation and can changes be made to make the focuser on the telescope run, I guess 'smoother' is the word I am looking for - i.e. to be almost infinitely adjustable - if so, how please? 

Try this?

Improving A Skywatcher Crayford Focuser

Most likely there's debris of some sort on either the "pinion" or the "rack" (yes, I know it's a Crayford and doesn't have either, but what do you call them?).  On mine, the black anodization had flaked off the focuser tube and deposited itself on the shaft, so I cleaned up both and the original smoothness returned.

If you try the method shown in the video above, it will make an improvement, but if it's not

to your satisfaction and you still find it hard to get perfect focus, then one of these will definitely

help, http://www.365astronomy.com/Dual-Speed-1-10-Microfocus-Upgrade-Kit-for-Skywatcher-Crayford-Focusers.html

it's the cheapest way to upgrade your focuser. 

Hi rockystar, Yup, I think I'll try the easier things first.  It's not that I won't strip things apart and try other things, but when I start with something that basically works and is quite expensive I do worry about doing some and indelibly wrecking something expensive that starts of as basically useable just to fix a niggle.  Admittedly the smoothing of the flat side of the moveable part of the focuser looks like it should do the trick, but it does seem a rather brutal solution (though we do have  bit of a  metal workshop here and could easily work the filing solution, its the pulling it apart and getting it back working again that concerns me!.) 

The Crayford is quite a simple focuser, quite easy to dis and reassemble, and it's just

four hex screws to take it apart, it's good to do these little modifications, it gives you

confidence to do other stuff on your scope. 

Archived