Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

MarsG76

Carina Nebula RGB & HAlpha

Hello again everyone,

Just sharing my latest DSO imaging result... The Carina Nebula, NGC3372.

The color image is true color RGB, 4 hours worth of ISO400 7.5 minute subs and the mono image is 4 hours of 20 minute ISO400 subs taken through a 7nm Ha filter using a modded Canon 40D.

Thanks for looking.

MG

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 6

Yes, I like it!

It immediately made me think to add this one to my list of things to image until I saw your location - damm...

My only minor critical comment is that the colour of the blue stars (I expect them to be blue) over the nebula have turned violet. Looks slightly odd to me but it can probably be easily fixed (in case you agree of course).

• Like 1

Nice image. I would also consider combining the colour with the Ha

9 hours ago, gorann said:

Yes, I like it!

It immediately made me think to add this one to my list of things to image until I saw your location - damm...

:happy8:

Didn't you have the chance recently? Btw, we have M81/82 and IFN. Somewhere. :wink:

Edited by wimvb
  • Like 1

On 2/28/2017 at 01:49, symesie04 said:

Very nice, no plans to combine the data?

I was going to combine the data and reprocess the image. I saw that after stacking I had individual pixels on the subs that created lines after stacking, so I need to re do it again but before stacking I'll run a "remove single pixels" filter on every sub.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2017 at 02:37, gorann said:

Yes, I like it!

My only minor critical comment is that the colour of the blue stars (I expect them to be blue) over the nebula have turned violet. Looks slightly odd to me but it can probably be easily fixed (in case you agree of course).

Hi Goran,

The purple halos seem to be a artifact created by my refractor combined with the full spec modded dslr. If I color balance the purple halos out than the whole nebula component looks too blue. In the past what I did was overlay the image with the purple halos over a color balanced image and use a feathered mask to mask out the purple halos that stood out too much.

I didn't do it in this image since I already decided to reprocess the image from scratch when I get a hour to myself.

9 minutes ago, MarsG76 said:

I was going to combine the data and reprocess the image. I saw that after stacking I had individual pixels on the subs that created lines after stacking, so I need to re do it again but before stacking I'll run a "remove single pixels" filter on every sub.

Aka hot pixel filter, aka windsorised sigma rejection, aka cosmetic correction

Good luck

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wimvb said:

Aka hot pixel filter, aka windsorised sigma rejection, aka cosmetic correction

Good luck

Yeah

Hey Guys... I had to show of that this image made it into the BBC Stargazeing Live 2017 program with Brian Cox. It was on Episode 1.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By MikeODay
      Also known as the Theta Carinae Cluster, The Southen Pleiades is a very bright open cluster in the Carina constellation. It was discovered by Abbe Lacaille during his visit to South Africa in 1752.  Containing around 60 stars, IC 2602 shines with an overall magnitude of 1.9 and its brightest member is Theta Carinae with a visual magnitude of 2.7. This cluster of young blue stars is relatively close to us at "only" 479 light years.
      5 May 2018

The Southern Pleiades open star cluster ( IC 2602 ) in Carina ( please click / tap on image to see larger and sharper )
      Image details can be found here.
    • By MikeODay
      Also known as the Theta Carinae Cluster, The Southen Pleiades is a very bright open cluster in the Carina constellation. It was discovered by Abbe Lacaille during his visit to South Africa in 1752.  Containing around 60 stars, IC 2602 shines with an overall magnitude of 1.9 and its brightest member is Theta Carinae with a visual magnitude of 2.7. This cluster of young blue stars is relatively close to us at "only" 479 light years.
      5 May 2018

The Southern Pleiades ( IC 2602 ) in Carina ( please click / tap on image to see larger and sharper )
      Image details:
      Orientation: North is up
      Telescope: Orion Optics CT12 Newtonian ( mirror 300mm, fl 1200mm, f4 ).
      Corrector: ASA 2" Coma Corrector Quattro 1.175x.
      Effective Focal Length / Aperture : 1470mm f4.7
      Mount: Skywatcher EQ8
      Guiding: TSOAG9 Off-Axis-Guider, Starlight Xpress Lodestar X2, PHD2 
      Camera:
      Nikon D5300 (unmodified) (sensor 23.5 x 15.6mm, 6016x4016 3.91um pixels)
      Moderate light pollution ( pale green zone on darksitefinder.com map )
      Capture ( 5 May 2018 ):
      14 sets of sub-images with exposure duration for each set doubling ( 1/30th sec to 240 sec ) all at ISO250.
      ( 22 x 240sec + at least 10 each forthe other durations )
      Processing:
      Calibration: master bias, master flat and master dark
      Integration in 14 sets
      HDR combination 
      Pixinsight May 2018
    • By MikeODay
      Carina Nebula with the bright unstable star Eta Carinae in the centre of the image.   edit ( 27 March ):  Tweak to shadow levels to bring out more detail and also a slight reduction in the brightness of the highlights.  A much larger version ( 4562 x 3072 6062 x 4082) is available on my Flickr page.     previous version:   Carinae Nebula ( NGC 3372 ) ( please click / tap on image to see larger and sharper )   From Wikipedia ... "Eta Carinae is a highly luminous hypergiant star. Estimates of its mass range from 100 to 150 times the mass of the Sun, and its luminosity is about four million times that of the Sun." This HDR image is constructed from 12 sets of exposures ranging from 1/8 sec ( to capture the bright centre of Eta Carinae ) through to 240 seconds.  Total exposure time around 13 hours   17-19 March 2018     Image details:   Objects in image:
        Hypergiant, Eta Carinae ( HD 93308 ) in the centre of the Homunculus Nebula
        Carina Nebula ( NGC 3372 )
        Keyhole Nebula
        Open Star Clusters:
          - Trumpler 14, 15, 16
          - Collinder  232
        Field of view ..... 59' 18.2" x 39' 56.0"
      Image centre ...... RA: 10 45 01.762  Dec: -59 40 52.87
      Orientation: North is up   Telescope: Orion Optics CT12 Newtonian ( mirror 300mm, fl 1200mm, f4 ). Corrector: ASA 2" Coma Corrector Quattro 1.175x. Effective Focal Length / Aperture : 1470mm f4.7   Mount: Skywatcher EQ8   Guiding: TSOAG9 Off-Axis-Guider, Starlight Xpress Lodestar X2, PHD2   Camera:
      Nikon D5300 (unmodified) (sensor 23.5 x 15.6mm, 6016x4016 3.9um pixels)   Location:
      Blue Mountains, Australia
      Moderate light pollution ( pale green zone on darksitefinder.com map )   Capture ( 17, 18 & 19 March 2018 ):
      12 sets of sub-images with exposure duration for each set doubling ( 1/8s to 240s ) all at ISO250.
      ( 181 x 240sec + 10 to 20 each for the other durations )   Processing:
      Calibration: master bias, master flat and master dark
      Integration in 12 sets
      HDR combination   Pixinsight March 2018
    • By MarsG76
      Hello all, 
      This is a quickie image that I took to check for changes in the location where I thought I caught a supernova (or some flare) on 9th march that I thought would be of interest to someone.
      This was imaged in between a meridian flip of imaging another Nebula near the Carina.
      This is through a focal reducer and imaged at f6.3, 1280mm FL using my 8" SCT.
      Consists of a dozen 300s and another dozen of 150s ISO800 subs.
      clear skies,
      MG

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.