Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep3_banner.thumb.jpg.5533fb830ae914798f4dbbdd2c8a5853.jpg

antique

Observing solar with a Meade 12 inch LX200

I have a Meade 12 inch  LX200 and since I'm getting old (84) missing sleep just ain't fun anymore...Sooo I am switching to solar..I will buy a glass H-Apha same size as aperture but it seems the 12 lets in to much light or something. Am studying like crazy on all things solar but am a bit foggy about the H-Alpha...Any help out there?

Thanks

Ken 

Edited by antique
redundant

Hello and welcome to SGL. It might be cheaper to buy a dedicated h-alpha telescope such as a Lunt or a Coronado. Using a 12" SCT for solar observing in h-alpha is a bit of an overkill. Solar observing in h-alpha doesn't require a large aperture, the telescopes I mentioned are in the 50mm to 70mm aperture range.

• Like 1

Thank you for responding...I think you are quite right about a smaller refractor, being more appropriate but am loathe (being 84 and on fixed income) to tie up more money...Am thinking about buying a small H-Alpha filter and mounting it off axis in an aperture cover made of whatever as long as it is opaque and light enough to not destabilize the telescope...what do you think, or do I still have my head in a warm dark place...

Ken

What h alpha filter was you thinking of using ? The Thousand Oaks h alpha filter with the required ERF (energy rejection filter) costs about 950 usd for the 12" filter. The erf fits over the corrector lens and the h alpha between diagonal and eyepiece.

You can make your own reduced aperture filter of around 100mm, I've used a full aperture homemade filter using Baader Solar Filter Film and also a 100mm one on my 10"SCT  and the views / images are really no different.

I guess in theory you could fit a 100mm thousand oaks one but make sure it's safely located.

Dave

Daystar make this for HA using SCT

http://www.daystarfilters.com/COMBOQuark.shtml

Edited by Davey-T

Thank you for responding...I think you are quite right about a smaller refractor, being more appropriate but am loathe (being 84 and on fixed income) to tie up more money...Am thinking about buying a small H-Alpha filter and mounting it off axis in an aperture cover made of whatever as long as it is opaque and light enough to not destabilize the telescope...what do you think, or do I still have my head in a warm dark place...

Ken

Not sure  I am using this media right, but thanks Peter and Dave...Think I'll just go with Thousand Oaks Solarlite for a while then maybe trade my way into a refractor with H-A..

Are you planning on white light or HA ?

Dave

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By acr_astro
      Hi all,
      as well today the sun is shining brightly here. I set up the Lunt to have a look at it, at first just for observing. However, somehow I cannot resist and have to do a sketch This time I've chosen reddish pastels on grey paper to better catch the color of the view in the eyepiece.

Telescope: Lunt LS50THaB600PT
      Eyepiece: Celestron X-cel 10mm
      Date & Time: May 15th, 2020 / 1400-1430 CEST
      Technique: red and orange Koh-i-Noor pastels and pastel pens on grey Canson Mi-Teintes pastel paper
      Size: 24 x 32 cm
      Clear (and sunny) skies!
      Achim
    • By Bajastro
      I finished observations of the Mizar A spectroscopic binary.
      Calibration for the Hα line made on water lines contained in the Earth's atmosphere.
      I used LowSpec spectrograph with 1800 grooves/mm reflective holographic grating, APM APO 107/700, QHY163M camera and HEQ5 mount with guiding.
      It turned out that the Earth's movement practically compensated for the radial velocity of the Mizar A system.
      Based on the analysis, I received the result:
      vr = -8.8 km/s
      in fact the system is approaching at a radial velocity of -6.3 km/s.

I also determined the phase plot of radial velocities based on my measurements for the Na (together for both lines) and separately for Hα line:

Error is based on half my spectral resolution (0.2 Å/pix corresponds to rv = 10 km/s). Each measurement corresponds to the stack a few images.

The most important purpose of observing this binary system was to record the historical Ca II line (often called as CaK, 3933.66 Å).
      The distances in the violet part of the spectrum are almost 2x smaller than the corresponding shifts for the Hα line. This line initiated the discovery of spectroscopically binary systems, and Mizar A was the first discovered system of this type.

These were the spectroscopic observations in the 19th century:

Source: https://www.leosondra.cz/en/mizar/#b20

I've made several observations of this line in the last two weeks:

Animation showing the changes in the CaK line based on my observations:

Not only the Ca II is split, but the surrounding lines also, shown below in a wider environment:

Balmer hydrogen lines are becoming more dense as Balmer's gap approaches (3646 Å).

Observation result of the Hα line:

And animation showing the changes in this line:

The Na I doublet was much more difficult to observe, because stars with A spectral type contain very faint lines of this metal:

Animation showing the changes in the sodium doublet:

We received the sodium quartet
    • By Bajastro
      1. Alcyone (Eta Tauri, η Tau, 25 Tau) in the Pleiades open cluster, spectral type B7IIIe+A0V+A0V+F2V.
      This star is a multiple system, but my goal of observation was the H-alpha profile of the main component:

Horizontal axis scaled to radial velocity:

2. Pleione (28 Tau, BU Tau) also in M45, spectral type B8Vne, variable star, the brightness changes in range: 4.83 - 5.38 V. 
      This is the faintest star, which I observed with using APO 107/700 & Low Spec spectrograph 1800 l/mm. 
      It was difficult, but obervation was positive (high gain, exposure time 4 min):

3. Tianguan (Zeta Tauri, ζ Tau), spectral type B1IVe+G8III: (mark ":" according to the VSX database means uncertainty).
      This is an eclipsing binary with variability type E/GS+GCAS, period is 133 d. The brightness changes in range: 2.80 - 3.17 V.

4. Cih, Tsih (γ Cas), spectral type B0.5IVpe, variable star with a magnitude range of 1.6 to 3 V:

5. Alnitak (Zeta Orionis, ζ Ori), spectral type O9.5Ibe+B0III. Variable star with a magnitude range of 1.74 to 1.77 V.
      Spectral lines have characteristic P Cygni profile, below H-alpha:

• By Mandy D
      I've just bought a Daystar Solar Scout 60mm DS for H-alpha imaging of the Sun. I am now looking for a suitable camera to use with it. I know I could use my DSLR, but for H-alpha that is not going to give best results, so am looking for a dedicated monochrome imaging camera. I have identified the ZWO ASI178MM as a possibility that fits my budget and has a large enough (I think) sensor to image the entire Solar disc if I use a 0.5 focal reducer which will give me a total focal length of 465 mm.
      Does anyone have any experience of this camera in this application, or know if it will be suitable? I know it does not have an IR blocking filter, which I understand is an advantage for H-alpha. The spec is available here:
      https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/zwo-asi178mm-usb-30-monochrome-cmos-camera.html
      Thanks
      Mandy

• By Adam Barnsley
      Hi all.
      I am looking for a zoom eyepiece to 60mm lunt. My first choices are Lunt zoom and Pantax smc xf zoom. Which will work better? Can you have any other offer? You could say something more about these eyepieces while observing h-alpha? 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.