Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Observing solar with a Meade 12 inch LX200

antique

I have a Meade 12 inch  LX200 and since I'm getting old (84) missing sleep just ain't fun anymore...Sooo I am switching to solar..I will buy a glass H-Apha same size as aperture but it seems the 12 lets in to much light or something. Am studying like crazy on all things solar but am a bit foggy about the H-Alpha...Any help out there?

Thanks

Ken 

Hello and welcome to SGL. It might be cheaper to buy a dedicated h-alpha telescope such as a Lunt or a Coronado. Using a 12" SCT for solar observing in h-alpha is a bit of an overkill. Solar observing in h-alpha doesn't require a large aperture, the telescopes I mentioned are in the 50mm to 70mm aperture range.

Thank you for responding...I think you are quite right about a smaller refractor, being more appropriate but am loathe (being 84 and on fixed income) to tie up more money...Am thinking about buying a small H-Alpha filter and mounting it off axis in an aperture cover made of whatever as long as it is opaque and light enough to not destabilize the telescope...what do you think, or do I still have my head in a warm dark place...

Ken

You can make your own reduced aperture filter of around 100mm, I've used a full aperture homemade filter using Baader Solar Filter Film and also a 100mm one on my 10"SCT  and the views / images are really no different.

I guess in theory you could fit a 100mm thousand oaks one but make sure it's safely located.

Dave

Daystar make this for HA using SCT

http://www.daystarfilters.com/COMBOQuark.shtml

Thank you for responding...I think you are quite right about a smaller refractor, being more appropriate but am loathe (being 84 and on fixed income) to tie up more money...Am thinking about buying a small H-Alpha filter and mounting it off axis in an aperture cover made of whatever as long as it is opaque and light enough to not destabilize the telescope...what do you think, or do I still have my head in a warm dark place...

Ken

Not sure  I am using this media right, but thanks Peter and Dave...Think I'll just go with Thousand Oaks Solarlite for a while then maybe trade my way into a refractor with H-A..

Archived