SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Finderscope

Hello everyone. I have a cheap telescope that i have been using for the past year but looking to upgrade soon. Anyway the scope i have is a celestron powerseeker 60AZ. I have just got myself a copy of the sky and telescope pocket sky atlas. I know a good idea is to have a ring of some kind such as a metal ring which you can use with the atlas to show what you will see through your finderscope.

Question is does anyone know what the true field of view in degrees my finderscope has? Its a 5x24.

I know i can look through it and see what stars are on the outer edges and compare that to the atlas to give the answer but i was just wondering if anybody knows the answer of the top of their head.

Thanks.

If you can't find the answer, just look through it in doors with something like the edge of the TV on the left of the FoV and then note what is on the right side of the FoV. Then from your position mark out the two lines of sight with bits of string then measure the angle.

James

FoV.png

15 hours ago, jambouk said:

If you can't find the answer, just look through it in doors with something like the edge of the TV on the left of the FoV and then note what is on the right side of the FoV. Then from your position mark out the two lines of sight with bits of string then measure the angle.

James

FoV.png

I will give this a go and compare my results to the 10 degrees quoted above

13 hours ago, JG777 said:

I am pretty sure that somewhere on the first few pages of S&T these scales / sizes are actually shown?

There is a scale guide on the cover page which if you know your field of view of your finderscope can then be used to make a ring of some sort. Just need to find out the value for mine in degrees to start with :)

The size of the template will depend on the scale of the map as well, easiest way is to pick a constellation like the plough and observe the maximum separation that you can see between any two stars, then transfer this observation to the sky chart, picking the same stars this will be the approximate size of the template you will need. You can calculate it if you want, but for your requirements the practical method will be more than adequate

15 minutes ago, BXRO said:

The size of the template will depend on the scale of the map as well, easiest way is to pick a constellation like the plough and observe the maximum separation that you can see between any two stars, then transfer this observation to the sky chart, picking the same stars this will be the approximate size of the template you will need. You can calculate it if you want, but for your requirements the practical method will be more than adequate

I will try this as well.  Although not sure when, i have not seen a clear sky for days!

Archived