Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss.thumb.jpg.5b348d6a5e7f27bdcb79e9356b7fc03b.jpg

RayD

Adobe CC price increase

On 26 February 2017 at 14:57, Davey-T said:

Let's hope those Linux folk come up with a viable alternative, doubt Apple will be much use as they will no doubt follow suit :grin:

Perhaps not. Microsoft make most of their money from software, Apple make theirs from hardware. You don't pay extra for the OS on iPhone or iPad. OS X has been free since 10.6 (?) for Macs.

Just now, ejp1684 said:

Perhaps not. Microsoft make most of their money from software, Apple make theirs from hardware. You don't pay extra for the OS on iPhone or iPad. OS X has been free since 10.6 (?) for Macs.

Yes I think this is probably true.  I remember when Apple first did the deal with MS to use Office on Mac, and Apple insisted that a single product should be licensed for 5 machines.  MS soon followed suit, and now a single subscription of Office 365 can be deployed on 5 machines. 

9 hours ago, RayD said:

Hmmmm I'm not sure the $ has risen 17.92% against the £ in the last 12 months, but I'm sure part of the increase includes this.

I'm not sure where the specific information regarding chargeable security updates you mention comes from as I didn't know that, but the MD of my IT company, who are MS agents, told me that they have been working on a cloud based OS for some time, and that they are only currently working on one major OS update only.  He seemed to think that W10 may be the last actual local OS, as someone else mentioned above, and that the updates will be on this i.e. W10.1 etc. but that was just his opinion.  That is not to say they won't work on more in the future I guess, but apparently they normally have plans afoot for future OS updates.

They already have Cloud OS, so this is not exactly new news, but it would appear that rather than this being limited to commercial applications, they may be looking in the future to roll it out as their standard.  We already control the deployment of all our MS applications via the cloud, so I suppose it is a logical step for them.

10 hours ago, wornish said:

The price increase from Adobe is basically the change in exchange rate, they are a US company after all and they have not acted for over 6 months since the fall in the pound vs dollar, so something had to give.

Can someone share the source of the rumour about Windows 10 being the last release and that security updates will become chargeable.  I suspect its fake news.

It was me who started that rumour, it came from a guy who works for MS that I know.....he said that win 10 will be the last one, and it will just be built upon with paid for updates, security updates may be free, he was not sure on that, but any actual user enhancement updates will probably be paid for...!

so it has only come from one person as far as I am concerned, but from someone who works for MS, so it's up to you whether you believe or not... :) but it makes sense to me

4 hours ago, orley said:

Windows 10 being the last version of Windows was announced a couple of years ago:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/antonyleather/2015/05/08/windows-10-to-be-last-version-of-windows/#64b42098713a

Be interesting to see where it heads...

Thanks for the link.

Seems they are following the Mac OSX model and providing regular smaller updates, and then do major releases only very occasionally.  

In the Mac world Apple have been on OSX10 for more than 10 years, they do point updates every year and do point-point updates every 4 to 6 weeks.   Currently they are on 10.12.3 with 10.12.4 in Beta testing but available for anyone to download.

They don't force you to update though like Windows 10.

1 hour ago, wornish said:

In the Mac world Apple have been on OSX10 for more than 10 years, they do point updates every year and do point-point updates every 4 to 6 weeks.   Currently they are on 10.12.3 with 10.12.4 in Beta testing but available for anyone to download.

They don't force you to update though like Windows 10.

And they don't steal and share your bandwidth.

20 hours ago, RayD said:

Hmmmm I'm not sure the $ has risen 17.92% against the £ in the last 12 months, but I'm sure part of the increase includes this.

The Pound has drop in the region of 15cents over the year to now.

I just changed my Office to yearly payment to makie a saving over monthly.

At the moment I think both are still reasonably priced, will continue for now.

8 minutes ago, wxsatuser said:

The Pound has drop in the region of 15cents over the year to now.

I just changed my Office to yearly payment to makie a saving over monthly.

At the moment I think both are still reasonably priced, will continue for now.

Yes agreed.  I do annual payments anyway, and I like and use the software, but my point was it's a bit of a hike in one hit, particularly given the currently low value of the £ is almost certainly due to short term instability and uncertainty rather than a long term trend.  I wager they won't put the price back down if/when the £ regains its value against the $.

Are there actually any must have astronomy processing features in the latest version that aren't available in V4 or V5 ?

Dave

59 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Are there actually any must have astronomy processing features in the latest version that aren't available in V4 or V5 ?

Dave

Here is the full list of what features each version has.

Photoshop History

Help you decide if its worth it.

1 hour ago, Davey-T said:

Dave

For DSLR users the support for RAW files gets cut with each version but most of what you need for AP is in CS2.

Alan

Alan,

If you want to use PS to process flats for you ie divide target lights by flat correction image then you need CS5 or newer....

(The divide function is not handled by PaintShopPro  at the moment....)