SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

For viewing planets

Googinhiem

The XCel LX eyepieces perform very well, and look and feel good.  I can't comment on the Orion Edge-Ons - if they are considered better, it might be worth paying more for something you would be happy with long term.  Also, consider other specs when making a decision, eye relief being important for comfortable viewing.  Orions have more than the XCels.

Doug.

No idea where you are but check out Zhumell, they seem to do the same eyepieces under their name but the cost is generally less then Orion's. Makes a bit of sense as Orion items are often the same as Synta and Zhumell also often use Synta items.  You can often find the same eyepiece under 2 or 3 or more brands.

Not going to be much in it with an SCT I think.

The planetary positions in the sky and the usual variable seeing conditions will be the big challenges for planetary observers over the coming months and years.

3 hours ago, John said:

Not going to be much in it with an SCT I think.

The planetary positions in the sky and the usual variable seeing conditions will be the big challenges for planetary observers over the coming months and years.

Mine's the SCT John - the OP's is the faster Dob!  :happy11:

Doug.

11 hours ago, ronin said:

No idea where you are but check out Zhumell, they seem to do the same eyepieces under their name but the cost is generally less then Orion's. Makes a bit of sense as Orion items are often the same as Synta and Zhumell also often use Synta items.  You can often find the same eyepiece under 2 or 3 or more brands.

Thank you very much I have decided on the zhumell z series but most are on back order. I will get the 14.5mm for now and pick up a 6mm and 9mm later. Great advice site you have saved me a boat load of money! 

4 hours ago, Googinhiem said:

Thank you very much I have decided on the zhumell z series but most are on back order. I will get the 14.5mm for now and pick up a 6mm and 9mm later. Great advice site you have saved me a boat load of money! 

If you tire of waiting for them to get the 6mm and 9mm back in stock (I think they've been out for years), these 6mm and 9mm wide angle eyepieces get decent reviews and they don't cost a lot.

Archived