Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astro-Devices Parallelogram Mount

AdeKing

I'm looking for a Parallelogram mount for my new 20 x 60 binoculars and would really love a Universal Astronomics Unimount, but really cannot justify the expense so am looking for something a little cheaper.

I want the mount to be usable from a seated position, which seems to rule out the Orion Paragon Plus.

I've found the Astro-Devices (of Ukraine) Parallelogram Mount

http://astrodevices.net/mounts/parallelogram-standard-ii-pro

At $175 plus shipping, the mount looks very affordable.  

I did find an old review on Cloudy Nights which seemed positive, but not a lot else.

Has anyone used one of these mounts, if so, how does it perform.  I have searched and can't find any reference to the mount on the forums.

Cheers,

Ade

I have an Orion binocular mount which I use, but mostly when standing up. I've just fitted an old tripod head from an old Miranda camera tripod I have onto the  Orion mount with a strengthened Celestron binocular bracket which should allow me to use them from been sat in a chair. Will try it out on the next clear night, but seems rigid enough even with my Celestron 15x70 binoculars on, which currently are the heaviest that I own.

IMG_2182.JPG

IMG_2183.JPG

IMG_2184.JPG

IMG_2185.JPG

This trigger grip I bought second hand off Stu on here allows me to position the binos fully to zenith. Had to slide the balance weight fully out, but holds the grip and binoculars well still it seems. Will test fully under a clear sky when I get the next chance. :)

IMG_2186.JPG

IMG_2187.JPG

Thanks for the info, now I can see the workings of the mount up close, I can see that the binocular mounting point moves more than I thought it did.  Previously I've only ever seen them set up to observe standing up with the mount in front of you and  moving the Bins towards you, rather than set up to one side and moving the bins in an arc in front of you, if that makes sense.

Ade

On 27/02/2017 at 23:16, AdeKing said:

Previously I've only ever seen them set up to observe standing up with the mount in front of you and  moving the Bins towards you, rather than set up to one side and moving the bins in an arc in front of you,

There are several different implementations of P-mounts. The "raw"  Paragon works in the way you describe in the first bit above; at the other extreme the UA with a deluxe head gives you a massive amount of flexibility:

T-mounting_system.jpg

Thanks Steve, 

I would love the UA mount, but just can't muster the funds for it unfortunately, but I thought that the Astro-Devices mount looked to be a nice clone and not much more expensive than the Orion Paragon.

Have you come across the Astro-Devices P Mount?

16 hours ago, AdeKing said:

Have you come across the Astro-Devices P Mount?

Only in Astronomy forum discussions. :icon_biggrin:

I'm wondering why you think the Paragon would be unusable from a seated position. I have an old Virgo SkyMount, which is essentially the same thing, and it's perfectly usable seated, and will support your 20x60. Also, PM incoming.

Hi,

I'm newcomer here but i have an Astrodevices (Ukraine) P mount. It is a good piece of metal, well done and easy to improve.

Valentin, the engineer is really a pleasant guy and want to satisfy his buyer ; be sured you are doing a good choice.

I  have open a thread about it : http://www.webastro.net/forum/showthread.php?t=146268

Archived