Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sol 24-2-2017

Ibbo!

Fascinating images. However (maybe its just me) but I,m always put off by the artificial colouration of such images.  I know absolutely nothing about the equipment and techniques involved in producing the images ,but is it possible to process them to mimic white light? 

I don't mean this as criticism of the images themselves.

Great shots Steve, it's Mahoosive :)

On 25/02/2017 at 09:16, Les Ewan said:

Fascinating images. However (maybe its just me) but I,m always put off by the artificial colouration of such images.  I know absolutely nothing about the equipment and techniques involved in producing the images ,but is it possible to process them to mimic white light? 

I don't mean this as criticism of the images themselves.

Les, white light images are white in their raw state, but the Ha line (which is where this image is) sits at the red end of the spectrum as per this 'raw' image:

img_2134.jpg

from here

so although the colour maybe processed in that's because it's often imaged in mono and wants to be brought back somewhere near to a true view as well as the personal taste thing.

The Ca-K line is near the deep violet end of the visible spectrum which is why the images are often that colour. It's like looking at different layers of Sol.

White light images that have pseudo colour are absolutely false, but folks who do WL (me included) will generally post pseudo colour and mono. In that case is entirely down to taste.

HTH.

Archived