Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25_winners.thumb.jpg.fe4e711c64054f3c9486c752d0bcd6f2.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
alexbb

IC434 new RGB, old Ha

Yesterday evening was clear and I just bought a Canon 300 F4 L sh a week ago. Didn't want to take out all the heavy mount, power supplies, camera, etc. and it would even have been impossible perhaps to set it up in time. So I took the EQ5 with RA tracking (powered from an USB power bank), the lens and the Canon 550D. Went somewhere outside, the galaxy was just visible, but much, much better than city lights. Had a look before at Venus and at Orion's nebula with the 100 F5 achro then I put the camera. I also recently bought a polar scope for the EQ5 and it was the first time when I aligned a/the mount using the polar scope. The circles were much darker than I would have expected. I tested then the tracking with 30s exposures and it seemed to track without trailings, but I was a little afraid so I set the exposures to 20s. I don't have an intervalometer so I couldn't even try longer than 30s with just the camera. I made a manual trigger though so I could fire it up with the camera set on continuous shooting.

During the night tracking seemed to stay on spot, I had to refocus once. It was pretty cold, about 5C maybe and I stayed inside the car.

So I took more than 200 exposures of 20s at ISO1600 and aperture wide open at F/4. I used about 220 of them. I also took about 60 5s exposures to use for the stars. I'm pretty impressed by the lens' resolution, though I suspect that stopping it down it could help even more.

For comparison, I'll attach another try from early October, but taken with 2 Tair 3s lenses stopped down at F/5.6, put on a Canon 550D and a Canon 450D. If I remember well, I exposed then almost half an hour before the batteries went flat. So the total light acquired yesterday was more than double. But the sky was not as good.

I also added about 2 hours of noisy Ha to the image, taken from the city with the ASI 1600 MMC also with the Tair 3s and Optolong 7nm Ha filter. I don't think I can make it look much better.

Enough writing so here are the images. The colour ones with many spikes are the old ones taken with the Tair lenses.

Clear skies,

Alex

IC434-F300-2017-02-23-RGB.jpg

IC434-F300-2017-01-02-Ha.jpg

IC434-F300-2017-02-23-RHaGB_p02.jpg

RGB_Tair3s.jpg

• Like 3

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Gib007
      THIS ITEM HAS NOW BEEN SOLD.
      This listing is for my personal narrowband filters (Kayron from Light Vortex Astronomy). They are the Astrodon Hydrogen-Alpha (HA), Oxygen-III (OIII) and Sulphur-II (SII) 3nm 1.25" narrowband set. These are considered the highest-end narrowband filters money can buy, able to produce images of exceptional quality and incredible sharpness, cutting through a vast amount of light pollution. The 3nm variants featured here are fantastic for pulling out fine nebulous structures clearly above background. For more information, please see Astrodon's website:
      https://astrodon.com/products/astrodon-narrowband-filters/
      Please note that these three filters together currently retail at just over £1,710 from UK suppliers, €2,180 from European suppliers or $1,690 from US suppliers. Payment is preferred via bank transfer but PayPal is OK with an extra 2.9% to cover PayPal fees. I'll cover postage to you via tracked Courier. 
      I welcome any questions you may have regarding this listing. Thank you for looking. 

• By rotatux
      My first relative success at this target.
      Some dust mites show because the mount had good tracking and I used no darks nor flats. With my camera the cure should be quite simply to power cycle off/on so that auto-cleaning moves the dust elsewhere.
      Capture: Olympus E-PL6 on Skywatcher 130PDS at 565mm/4.35 with SWCC and didymium filter on Omegon EQ-300 tracking RA
      Exposure: 12 × 60s × 2500iso
      Site: 50km from Paris (France), sky Bortle ~ 4
      Processing: Regim 3.4, Fotoxx 12.01+
    • By laudropb
      First view of the Sun for almost a month, but the wait was worth it. The large sunspot has split into 2 umbra, both within the same penumbra. Plage  and filament activity nearby. There is a large prominence just above this on the oncoming limb and 3 other prominences on this limb. On the Western limb there is another even larger prominence. I will set up for WL and have a close look at the AR. Hope your skies are as clear as mine.
    • By thomasv
      Both little used, 'as new' condition, selling due to change of camera.
      Price incl. shipment: Ha: £99; CLS: £49
      These are compatible with Canon 5D / 6D, etc, here are the links for details on these filters:
      https://www.365astronomy.com/optolong-h-alpha-7nm-narrowband-deepsky-filter-for-for-full-frame-canon-eos-cameras.html
      https://www.365astronomy.com/optolong-cls-city-light-suppression-filter-for-full-frame-canon-eos-cameras.html
      Regards,
      t

• By PembrokeSteve
      Hi, 
      During the 3 clear nights in a row, I had last week, I could not resist giving the Horsehead Nebula a go, using my Vixen VC200L.
      Whilst imaging with my Canon 450D via APT, I could not make out the Horse's head whatsoever on my laptop screen, but I knew I was on target, because I could see NGC2023, at the bottom of my screen.
      Anyway I was pleasantly suprised with this result after processing through APP and tweaking in GIMP.
      Not the total failure I was expecting.

Image Info:-
      Vixen VC200L Telescope
      Canon 450D camera unmodified
      ISO 1600
      All I could do before fog ended the night:-
      x20 120 sec Lights, x20 100 sec Lights, x10 80 sec Lights, x10 40 sec Lights
      x21 Darks, x40 Bias and x40 Flats

Processed in APP 

Regards,
      Steve

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.