Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New Baader/Zeiss T2 prism - Correct Image!

iPeace

45 minutes ago, Timebandit said:

So does this mean the rest of us just get the satisfactory ones, and you get a hand picked perfect example?. This does seem to of opened up the flood gates here and a can of worms by Badder. I and everyone else will want a hand picked perfect example too , I suppose this means Baader going through hundreds of boxes until they find a perfect one??                                      .  

I suppose it means that you get what you are discerning enough to accept. :happy11:

Whether any type of floodgates have been opened, time will tell.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jetstream said:

If Baader had old Zeiss stock-prisms etc- and the stock gets depleted, the level of  optical precision might be impacted on some things down the road. I'm sure glad I bought my BaaderCool wedge and prism diagonal when I did...

I appreciate the sentiment - however, it would seem that items like the wedge and the "standard" (reverse image) prism diagonal don't face the same inherent manufacturing challenges as an amici prism; I wouldn't expect to see the quality of such items from Baader drop off over time.

• Like 2

I find really good optics "grab" my attention immediately, and I look for this now after purchasing glass. Both of my Baader prisms do this for me. If this reward is given from any product, regardless of origin it is good enough for me.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jetstream said:

I find really good optics "grab" my attention immediately, and I look for this now after purchasing glass. Both of my Baader prisms do this for me. If this reward is given from any product, regardless of origin it is good enough for me.

Agreed. I had been a "TeleVue Man" from the start, and still like their stuff, but recently I opted for an ES 24/68 at less than half the price of a 24mm Panoptic - and then got another one because it was so good.

:icon_biggrin:

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it's time to go figure.

My first one of these was, to my eyes, perfect. The next two that were delivered to me displayed a dim, yet very clear horizontal spike through bright objects at power - Jupiter, to be specific. Now, I have been delivered one which is as good as the first, as far as I can tell - and that's all that matters, in the end.

And yet, this seems to leave unresolved how the other two could be so clearly so less good. I am prepared to accept Baader's explanation that they were produced within tolerances but that there are still differences between individual specimens that most users don't notice; on the other hand, I don't fancy myself a particulary discerning observer.

In any case, Baader have come through for me, and I now own two very good - spikeless - T2 Amici prisms for nocturnal correct-image observing. The experience has made me reconsider the use of classic mirror diagonals, though, and I suspect I will be using them side by side. If at any moment I suspect I'm not getting the best image, to be able to grab a mirror diagonal out of the bag seems just plain good.

:happy11:

• Like 5

On 2017-4-12 at 18:20, iPeace said:

Agreed. I had been a "TeleVue Man" from the start, and still like their stuff, but recently I opted for an ES 24/68 at less than half the price of a 24mm Panoptic - and then got another one because it was so good.

:icon_biggrin:

We can perceive things very differently, which is quite intriguing.

Personally, I am fine with the left-right reversed view due to diagonal mirrors, I'm definitely happy with the straight through finder view on my dob, I see differences on axis in eyepieces (TV etc), and the edge is not very important to me...

Apart from the first point, the remaining three are orthogonal to the feelings of most. I believe one should follow his/her own way eventually.

As you my second (and serious) introduction into this hobby has been predominantly supported by TV equipment. Funnily I'm having less and less TV components as time passes. 

Tastes are so personal!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Piero said:

We can perceive things very differently, which is quite intriguing.

Personally, I am fine with the left-right reversed view due to diagonal mirrors, I'm definitely happy with the straight through finder view on my dob, I see differences on axis in eyepieces (TV etc), and the edge is not very important to me...

Apart from the first point, the remaining three are orthogonal to the feelings of most. I believe one should follow his/her own way eventually.

As you my second (and serious) introduction into this hobby has been predominantly supported by TV equipment. Funnily I'm having less and less TV components as time passes. 

Tastes are so personal!

Certamente.

:happy11:

• Like 1

The BBHS diagonals are new - I think they've only been on the market for a year. And they are obviously niche products - none more so than the T2 amici correct view version. Maybe Baader have only produced a handful of these Mike - which might explain why they haven't yet achieved the consistency of the other Baader diagonal lines?

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Researching the 90 deg BBHS Amici. Baader have it up on their own site. https://www.baader-planetarium.com/en/baader-2"90°-astro-amici-prism-with-bbhs-r-coating.html

They are expensive but (so are Astro Physics standard diagonals & Baader Hershels) they can enable ordinary refractors to turn into terrestial scopes. Compared to a new spotting scope as a whole, the price is acceptable, allowing for digiscoping & wildlife as well as star hopping using eyes, atlas & Telrad etc. Also good for outreach, as I find with my 1.25 correct image diagonals - one less "why is?" to answer.

@iPeacedo you still use both your Baader Amicis since you last posted in this thread?

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting an old topic - I have had a Baader Amici Zeiss prism for a couple of years and only just started to use it for astro. For daytime use it is fantastic, clear and sharp. But at night - oh dear! A prominent spike through bright objects.

I tried a photo with quickly knocked up artificial star.

IMG_5041.thumb.jpg.38e124d92855b3afdb4a7bb42956e133.jpg

I reached out to Baader to see if they would be willing to sort me out with a perfect example but so far no reply.

• Like 1

That's just the nature of the beast due to the center edge to flip left for right.  Just avoid viewing bright point sources at night with it.  Use a planar diagonal instead of those objects.

• Like 1

On 04/05/2020 at 17:30, Louis D said:

That's just the nature of the beast due to the center edge to flip left for right.  Just avoid viewing bright point sources at night with it.  Use a planar diagonal instead of those objects.

Pretty much what Baader said too.