Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

10mm Vixen SLV v 10mm TeleVue Radian

Alan White

So having both eyepiece types, the Vixen SLV in 10mm and 6mm and now the TeleVue Radian in 14, 10 and 6mm I have had some time to make comparisons.
Thought I would share my simple thoughts and ask for yours in return.

• Vixen Made in China, Radian made in Taiwan.

• Field of view 50 on Vixen, 60 on TeleVue, wider FOV nice on non tracking mount, but not a critical change.

• Solid build of both ranges, the Radian is perhaps edging slightly better, but not by much.

• Both EP ranges are near parfocal, but both need a little twiddle of focus once swapped.

• SLV are simlilar length and weight to each other, Radians differ in length and weight by some ammount.

• The 6mm Radian is much longer and double the weight of the 6mm SLV, makes ep changes a ballancing act on my AZ4.

• The views other than FOV, very similar, perhaps a slight colour (warmer) tone in the Radians.  But I like that tone.

• Much difference in view, no, not really very similar.

Do I prefer one over the other, no not really, I thought I would but I like both. 
A quandry now as which to keep?

I've owned Radians and I've tested 3 of the SLV's. I liked both eyepiece types but I thought the SLV's were a little sharper and had slightly better light transmission than the Radian equivalents. The 6mm SLV in particular rivalled the Baader Genuine Ortho when I compared them back to back over several nights.

I don't own either type now but if I was looking for this sort of eyepiece I think the SLV's would be the ones that I would look out for.

13 hours ago, John said:

I've owned Radians and I've tested 3 of the SLV's. I liked both eyepiece types but I thought the SLV's were a little sharper and had slightly better light transmission than the Radian equivalents. The 6mm SLV in particular rivalled the Baader Genuine Ortho when I compared them back to back over several nights.

I don't own either type now but if I was looking for this sort of eyepiece I think the SLV's would be the ones that I would look out for.

John

It was your test that directed me toward SLV at the start, the 6mm Baader Classic Ortho gives very similar views to the SLV and very similar in the Radian.

The differences are size, which is a big difference, eye relief and personal liking for the viewing experience provided.

For comfort, value and liking the SLV's are edging it with me.

15 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

Orthos have a special 'feel' to them. If you can tollerate the restricted field of view and eye relief then nothing else comes close.

I love Orthos also and find my Baader Genuine Orthos a special eyepiece.

But if you feel nothing else comes close to an Ortho, then you really need to pay the Pentax XW range a visit. IMO they have the Tak sharp optics of an Ortho, but with non of the draw backs. The Pentax XW have 20mm of eyerelief and a fov of around 70d , just a top notch complete eyepiece IMO.

4 hours ago, Timebandit said:

I love Orthos also and find my Baader Genuine Orthos a special eyepiece.

But if you feel nothing else comes close to an Ortho, then you really need to pay the Pentax XW range a visit. IMO they have the Tak sharp optics of an Ortho, but with non of the draw backs. The Pentax XW have 20mm of eyerelief and a fov of around 70d , just a top notch complete eyepiece IMO.

I have XLs, XWs, Delos, ES-92, etc.  I've always been curious to see how good an ortho can be compared to them.  What generally available ortho (not the Zeiss ones) are considered best right now?  The Fujiyama, Takahashi or some others?  How about compared to Brandons?

32 minutes ago, Louis D said:

I have XLs, XWs, Delos, ES-92, etc.  I've always been curious to see how good an ortho can be compared to them.  What generally available ortho (not the Zeiss ones) are considered best right now?  The Fujiyama, Takahashi or some others?  How about compared to Brandons?

I have used a few different Orthos, some unfortunately not available now like my favourite sensible money Orthos like the Baader Genuine Orthos, also the meade research Grade Orthos. 

I have never tried a Brandon and as they do seem a bit costly probably will not be worth the added expense, especially as I do not think they will be an improvement over the Baader Genuine Ortho from what I have read. The Baader Classic Ortho are supposed to be very good , similar to their predecessors the Baader Genuine Orthos. I have tried and still have some Fujiyama Orthos and find them very very good and sensible money. The Fujiyama  which are still available IMO are extremely similar in performance to the Baader Genuine Orthos which unfortunately are no longer available.

Therefore if you are looking for a Ortho then IMO the Fujiyama are very good and certainly worth considering at the sensible money they are. Obviously the king of Orthos seem to be the Zeiss , but at extremely high price point and unless you have the atmosphere conditions to get the best out of such an eyepiece are probably a bit over indulgent.

I hope the above helps☺

1 hour ago, Louis D said:

Of the ones I've used I think the Fujiyama HD, University Optics HD, Takahashi abbe orthos and the now out of production Baader Genuine orthos are the best around without going into the stratospheric price bracket. 

I spent several weeks comparing a Univiersity Optics HD ortho 5mm with a TMB Supermonocentric 5mm a couple of years ago and it was only on the nights with the best seeing conditions that allowed the TMB Supermono to have a performance edge over the much less expensive UO HD and even then it was only a very subtle margin.

I feel that the Pentax XW's offer the closest thing to orthoscopic type performance that I've found in a wide angle, long eye relief design. The Tele Vue Delos and Delite are also in the same league I think it's fair to say. The Ethos is pretty close as well which is remarkable for such a wide angle eyepiece with so many lens elements.

Archived