Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Buzzing charge feeling coming from my HEQ5 PRO mount

I know the leisure batteries are the preferred solution, but I'm using one of these http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/5-in-1-power-station-with-air-compressor-a67hy I'm getting several hours use of it and then re-charging and with the 17A delivery potential it's currently doing well - long term lasting will have to be seen as its still new.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, JOC said:

I'm getting several hours use of it

Do you reckon about 2 nights of observing could be gained from this power source without having to recharge? (may possibly forget to put it on charge one night) :happy7:

If and when I find a suitable Astronomy club in Suffolk, this would be what I am after for those sessions.

Cheers mate.

PESKYWAABBIT  I guess it depends on what its running, how often you drive the telescope from target to target (which I guess takes more active power than gentle tracking, what else you are powering - dew bands, computers etc.  In fact it's almost a how long is a piece of string question ;-)   I couldn't say without trying it (way to many clouds at the moment), but on Thursday I had it running from about 17:30 to 22:30 from a full charge and when I bought it in I was still showing 13A (on it's own meter - calibration uncertain!).  I was running just the goto and tracking and slewed the telescope on its Dobsonian mount to different targets about 6-8 times if that helps. 

1 minute ago, JOC said:

PESKYWAABBIT  I guess it depends on what its running

Currently just my HEQ5 PRO to drive a SW 200P to about 5 objects in the evening for about 3 hours. (Would be longer when I get fully to grips and practice my setup routine)

I would like to be able to power a laptop off of the supply sometime in the future at some point to help with guiding. I am currently trying though to setup my Raspberry PI so I don't need a laptop out there with me, but instead just use a mobile power bank to power the PI. I get what you mean when you say how long is a bit of string! It's a tough question for sure but appreciate the level of detail you have provided, it's definitely something to go by! :) 

Add up all the power used by the equipment you are going to use in Amps multiply it with the time it is gonna be used and depending on the battery you want, multipy that with 1,2 -2,0

Example: Mount 1 A + dew heaters 2 A, camera 4 A, Laptop 6A totals to 13 amps for 5 hours equals 65Ah For a car battery X2, for a leasure battery x 1.5, for a LiFePO battery x 1.2.   resp. 130 Ah, 100 Ah and 80 Ah
of course this is just an example, and high consumption, but that is how easy it is to know how much power power you need for your sessions. 

Archived