Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter smiles on me

5 minutes ago, Charic said:

......different, but why not! 

The more eyepieces you have the more choices you have available, but sure as hell, one of them will work better on the night compared to the rest, then maybe redundant the next night in favour of another. May seem like overkill, but I'll use all my eyepieces on one target, just  to find the one that looks the best, without pr-empting what I should see.

One bag/case contains the BST's, the Panaview and the SPL's, another  contains the revelations and the Delos are still boxed! quite a mess the following morning when Mrs Charic enters the kitchen, with all my EP's spread around the kitchen?

I'm hoping to get out tonight, despite the chill, having  noticed the back street light is intermittent at present, providing a darker site, and no work in the morning :happy9:

Good luck for tonight. I only have 5 eyepieces at the moment but I use them all to get used to how they are. I noticed you have a  3.2mm in your collection..... Have you ever used it? Can the scope handle it? And can the atmosphere in Scotland handle it? Cheers Scott

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I generally have good results, most of the time, with my Xcel-LX 18mm with a barlow on Jupiter, they give me a clean 111x view. But I often have great results with my 4.7mm ES which gives me 212x. Jupiter can take around 200x, not all the time but it's not really uncommon.

I use my 4.7mm almost every time I get out on an observation but it will always push my instrument to its limits, +-200x . In my opinion, your 7mm at 170x should be effective frequently on planets, the 13mm is another really useful magnification, 93x, on DSO's and planets.  :happy10:

8 hours ago, Scott Brown said:

I noticed you have a  3.2mm

It works for me, but I've only used primarily on the Moon so far.
At 375x it would be hard pushed on many other targets, but I'm willing to try some more targets when conditions allow. Its  a little darker in the garden right now, but cloudy at present, and having just showered (self) not sure I'll be heading out now!
The 3.2mm  was also essential to complete the 'set' :happy9:

On 3 March 2017 at 22:00, N3ptune said:

I generally have good results, most of the time, with my Xcel-LX 18mm with a barlow on Jupiter, they give me a clean 111x view. But I often have great results with my 4.7mm ES which gives me 212x. Jupiter can take around 200x, not all the time but it's not really uncommon.

I use my 4.7mm almost every time I get out on an observation but it will always push my instrument to its limits, +-200x . In my opinion, your 7mm at 170x should be effective frequently on planets, the 13mm is another really useful magnification, 93x, on DSO's and planets.  :happy10:

Thanks for that. I need to get more use out of my EPs to see what ones I can use most but so far I have had use out of them all.

On 3 March 2017 at 22:49, Charic said:

It works for me, but I've only used primarily on the Moon so far.
At 375x it would be hard pushed on many other targets, but I'm willing to try some more targets when conditions allow. Its  a little darker in the garden right now, but cloudy at present, and having just showered (self) not sure I'll be heading out now!
The 3.2mm  was also essential to complete the 'set' :happy9:

Hehe " The 3.2mm  was also essential to complete the 'set "  I get it now. I haven't even observed the moon yet but shall at the first opportunity.

This topic was always going to attract a lot of posts about possible EPs. I'll weigh in and say that in that scope, if you are happy with the field of view and eye relief of the stock 10mm then give some serious consideration to orthos. I have the 250mm version of your scope and my 10mm Baader Classic Ortho is simply unbeatable for Jupiter. I've occasionally been able to go down to a 6mm (x200) but it's rare to have the atmosphere so stable to do this for any length of time. Have a look for used orthos, you can usually get them for less than £40 and I can gaurantee you'll love Jupiter even more!

On 2/24/2017 at 10:53, Scott Brown said:

And also a bemused looking missus when she can't understand what all the fuss is about....... It's stealth mode spending for me so lets just see how long I get away with it before she puts the foot on the breaks haha.

You'll get good at this. I have learned from years of buying surfing stuff such as boards and wetsuits. Just tell her you've sold something to 'free up the cash'. Then hope she hasn't already taken an inventory of your stuff (she won't)

13 hours ago, Jimtheslim said:

You'll get good at this. I have learned from years of buying surfing stuff such as boards and wetsuits. Just tell her you've sold something to 'free up the cash'. Then hope she hasn't already taken an inventory of your stuff (she won't)

Well I bought 3 eyepieces within the first week or so and when she noticed them I just gave it the old " ah them.... They came with the scope " It seemed to work ok and I also told her I have another one upstairs that came with the bundle so I have the next one covered as well :)

1 hour ago, Scott Brown said:

Well I bought 3 eyepieces within the first week or so and when she noticed them I just gave it the old " ah them.... They came with the scope " It seemed to work ok and I also told her I have another one upstairs that came with the bundle so I have the next one covered as well :)

Dangerous game... :D

Archived