Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter's Gravity

I'm making a video on falling into Jupiter, and what would happen to you. Does anyone know how fast you would be falling after 1 minute if you jumped out of a spaceship 100 miles above Jupiter? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Corkey

The only things I can think of is at the present time is...

1. Io... constantly being pulled and flexed and is >400000 kms* from Jupiter.

2. comet Shoemaker/Levy 9... and that was >40000 kms* from Jupiter before it started to get ripped and torn apart into smaller fragments... by Jove, that did leave a mark or two! :evil62:  (21 fragments in total).

* verification needed.

Unless I've got it wrong, roughly 1500 metres/second, having travelled 45km - assuming you had not yet encountered the atmosphere and not accounting for the decrease in gravity 100 miles up.

(I used http://www.smartconversion.com/unit_calculation/acceleration_calculator.aspx and http://keisan.casio.com/exec/system/1224829579)

Just now, furrysocks2 said:

Unless I've got it wrong, roughly 1500 metres/second, having travelled 45km - assuming you had not yet encountered the atmosphere and not accounting for the decrease in gravity 100 miles up.

Thanks. I think it was about 500 miles an hour if you counted resistance, but not counting it I got the same as you :)

This is the formula to calculate final velocity

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity of an object. where a is acceleration, v is the final velocity of the object, u is the initial velocity of the object and t is the time that has elapsed. This equation can be rearranged to give: v = u + at

Here is another one you may like to ponder :-  If you and Jupiter were the only things in the universe (hypothetically ;) ) (by which I mostly mean to ignore the sun) and you fell from very very far away (like almost  infinitely far away) down towards Jupiter how fast would you be travelling when you hit ? Almost infinitely fast ?? or a bit less ??

59.5km/s  Highlight the greens to see the answer :)

aka Jupiter escape velocity

You would have to think about it, but I see old Felix Baumgartner  leapt
from his balloon at 40km? At a pressure of ~0.2 Atmospheres! Such a
daring feat (Balloon ascent then jump!) looks possible on Jupiter too? :p

You might even START just above the "Haze Layer" shown? You'd still
be in cloud for over 100km of free fall? Jupiter has a "thick atmosphere"!
I sense you'd end a LOT faster / hotter / smaller than our hero though! :evil4:

AAAKKPD0.GIF

Archived