Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Log book detail

Swoop1

What information do you good folk record in an observing log?

I have entered some reports on here but want to make sure I am keeping tabs on all the information that mey be of use to me (or anyone else) in the future.

Does anyone have a downloadable log that they could recommend?

Thanks,

Matt

Well, for me the most important thing is (what I saw and) how to find it again. Before I wrote stuff down I was always confident that I could find it again but a few weeks later the information had gone. Maybe a rough sketch helps me know where to look and whether I needed binoculars or how far I had to hop in the finder. I would've saved myself a lot of bother if I'd done that sooner and and even more if I'd actually checked my notes before a session on the same subjects.

Youll need to record Date, Time in UT.  Seeing conditions (stellar twinkling) using the Antoniadi scale from 1=perfect to lV = utter rubbish.  Transparency of atmosphere based on the visual limiting magnitude of stars close to the zenith.

Don't forget to note telescope design, aperture,  magnification and whether or not you used a diagonal or filter. 

Add comments to your notes that will spark memories, such as "tonight I learned that sheep cough just like humans, and it scared the life out of me!" Or "flying geese sound like donkeys!" It all makes for magical memories!

Mike

I just use a hardback a4 notebook. I find drawing diagrams helps to make notes easier and more interesting to read back afterwards.

I also write down some physical factors to help me to remember them and to understand how things change.

My notes for Venus last night  say it was 56.8 million km away. Only 1 week before my notes have it at 62.5 million km, so in only 1 week it's 6 million km closer and has travelled a lot more than that in its orbit.

Sky Safari has a superb "list builder" in the search function, I use it to record when and very brief details; usually not enough to help me find the object again the following season though!

It's also useful in that you can create a list of objects you want to see...in this way, I copied nearly all the objects 'Hidden Treasures' into a list on the app which has proved quite useful. Took me an hour or so to do, but with all these clouds! 

Chris

Archived