SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SW upgraded Esprit 100 Focuser?

Just had an interesting phone conversation with Ian King, and it looks like SW may have changed the design of the Esprit 100 focusers slightly, but be interesting to see if anyone has had the same issue.

Basically my Lakeside focuser is all up and running on the test bench, and doing what it should be doing with SGPro no problem.  When I came to fit the motor on, the coupler shaft supplied, seemingly because previous models were used for the design, wouldn't fit as it has 4mm holes both ends.  The shaft on my focuser is actually 6mm, so the coupler should be 6mm one end and 4mm the other.

Has anyone else had this issue, or has SW just made an upgrade and not announced it?

Ian was great by the way, as I am becoming to find is the norm, as is getting his supplier to ship a correct replacement directly to me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/02/2017 at 11:36, RayD said:

Ian was great by the way, as I am becoming to find is the norm, as is getting his supplier to ship a correct replacement directly to me.

I'm also looking to order the Lakeside focuser for my Esprit 100.

Was the replacement coupler okay? Have you been able to get the Lakeside focuser up and running on the Esprit?

Andy.

1 hour ago, Andyb90 said:

I'm also looking to order the Lakeside focuser for my Esprit 100.

Was the replacement coupler okay? Have you been able to get the Lakeside focuser up and running on the Esprit?

Andy.

Yes Peter at Lakeside was excellent and sent me a replacement the next day which was perfect.  He noted he has done some brackets for older ones only recently and they were 5mm both ends, but they have obviously updated and now have 6mm shafts.

The focuser works really well on the Esprit and in my opinion is excellent quality.  Definitely a recommended upgrade.

I have the Pegasus one on my TS80, and whilst no complaints other than having to make my own custom bracket as the original one flexed too much for my liking, the Lakeside is certainly noticeably better. I like the touch of the temperature sensor being built in to the DIN socket, meaning you haven't got to find a place for it.

19 hours ago, RayD said:

Here is a picture of the Lakeside fitted to my Esprit 100.

20170309_180609.jpg

How do you remove the knob from the focuser? Is the front of the knob a cap that needs to be removed to get to a screw?

Andy.

32 minutes ago, Andyb90 said:

How do you remove the knob from the focuser? Is the front of the knob a cap that needs to be removed to get to a screw?

Andy.

No.  Under the bottom of the focuser there is a small grub screw (the screw nearest to the focus knob).  You remove that then rotate the focuser until another grub screw inside that, which is on the focus knob, comes in line with it.  You then put an allen key (2mm I think from memory) through the hole left by removing the grub screw and undo it.  The focus knob should then slide off.

2 hours ago, RayD said:

No.  Under the bottom of the focuser there is a small grub screw (the screw nearest to the focus knob).  You remove that then rotate the focuser until another grub screw inside that, which is on the focus knob, comes in line with it.  You then put an allen key (2mm I think from memory) through the hole left by removing the grub screw and undo it.  The focus knob should then slide off.

Okay, thanks for the info. Ian has asked me to check the shaft diameter. Once I get the knob off the focuser that will expose the shaft won't it?

Andy.

11 minutes ago, Andyb90 said:

Okay, thanks for the info. Ian has asked me to check the shaft diameter. Once I get the knob off the focuser that will expose the shaft won't it?

Andy.

Yes that's right. 

3 hours ago, RayD said:

This is the knob removed, and as you can see there is the grub screw that you need to loosen by putting a 2mm Allen key through the hole on the underside of the focuser.

SW Esprit 100 Focuser Knob

Got the knob off and the shaft is 6mm like yours. Also while doing that I noticed the base of the focuser doesn't have screws in every hole.

I think there are 2 missing hex screws where I've highlighted on the below image with the larger red arrows.

Also I think there is a missing grub screw highlighted by the smaller red arrow.

Does your focuser have 4 hex screws and 4 grub screws in the below positions?

PicsArt_1489178761666.thumb.jpg.9cd0175ff1a21b93113b1f962c240b03.jpg

Andy

23 minutes ago, RayD said:

No mine has screws in every hole so it looks like there are a couple missing?  Dod you get new or used?

20170310_215605.thumb.jpg.ed904a6ae69c0101c78723461a375167.jpg

I bought it new from FLO. Will contact them.

I probably have a couple of screws that fit, but I'm wondering if the screws adjust the focuser in some way. Or if they just hold the base in position.

Andy

2 minutes ago, Andyb90 said:

I bought it new from FLO. Will contact them.

I probably have a couple of screws that fit, but I'm wondering if the screws adjust the focuser in some way. Or if they just hold the base in position.

Andy

How odd.  I don't think the bigger ones adjust anything, I think they just hold the focuser to the tube, but I suspect the smaller grub screw ones may be adjusters of some sort.

I'm sure Flo will advise better and once you have the Lakeside fitted you'll be as pleased as I am with it.

32 minutes ago, RayD said:

How odd.  I don't think the bigger ones adjust anything, I think they just hold the focuser to the tube, but I suspect the smaller grub screw ones may be adjusters of some sort.

I'm sure Flo will advise better and once you have the Lakeside fitted you'll be as pleased as I am with it.

I've replaced the missing outer screws with a couple of M4s and they thread in fine. The existing screws were quite loose so I tightened them up, but this made the drawtube travel tight and 'bumpy'. So I slackened all the screws off.

I'll replace the inner grub screw too. It's m2. I just need to order a few. The 3 grub screws are fairly loose, but I'll them alone until I've got a bit of advice from FLO.

Andy.

6 minutes ago, Andyb90 said:

I've replaced the missing outer screws with a couple of M4s and they thread in fine. The existing screws were quite loose so I tightened them up, but this made the drawtube travel tight and 'bumpy'. So I slackened all the screws off.

I'll replace the inner grub screw too. It's m2. I just need to order a few. The 3 grub screws are fairly loose, but I'll them alone until I've got a bit of advice from FLO.

Andy.

Yes I imagine doing them up if they were loose may push the R&P worm in to the rack, and this then need adjusting with the smaller screws.  However, I couldn't say for sure, so would say drop Steve at Flo a line as they will have the best advice.

• 1 year later...
On 10/03/2017 at 14:10, RayD said:

Thanks Ray!

I've just spent an hour and a half looking for this very instruction! I'm trying to get the fitting information for the Lakeside I've ordered from Mr King. 

Archived