Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQMOD and game controllers - help please

mikey2000

Me again!

Obviously, all these cloudy nights are driving me to explore 'other aspects' of astronomy!

I've got EQMOD working with my EQ3 Pro Synscan but using the laptop and mouse to use the on-screen slew controls is somewhat cumbersome.   I read about connecting game controllers to move the mount around and it sounds great. 

I'm struggling though.   I have Xbox One controllers, some 'classic' wii controllers and some Wii U Pro controllers (similar in style to the Xbox/PS controllers)

I only have older xbox one controllers (so no bluetooth) and they work fine when connected by USB.    But I only have two USB ports, one for the QHY5L-II and one for the EQMOD connection.    I need to find a way to get a bluetooth connection going.

I can get my computer to pair with either the Wii or Wii U Pro controller but can't get any connection to EQMOD with the gamepads.   I've seen a few hints on line mentioning PPJoy or GlovePie but these were from a few years back and the hosting sites for download seem to be quite 'elusive'.

Is there a straightforward way to connect a Wii or Wii U Pro controller to EQMOD?  I'd prefer the Wii U Pro as it has more buttons.

Thanks!

That might not be a bad idea.  Unless a hub will interfere with my guide camera. (I've had enough trouble getting it to work in the first place.....)  

I'm sure I'd prefer a wireless solution - just for tidyness.   In fact, now I think about it, the classic Wii controller might be the best idea - it has a wrist strap so I can just hang it off something (maybe even slip it into a coat pocket) when not in use.  The Wii U Pro controller is bulkier and has more 'sticky-out' bits which might make it prone to accidental slews if pocketed.

New goal - get Wii Classic controller working with my PC :-)

If you want to get the wii controller working then you will need glovePIE and ppjoy.

http://astrobzizou.blogspot.co.uk/2011/03/how-to-configure-wiimote-for-eqascom.html

If you can't find it anywhere else there is an old verison of glovepie zipped up in the EQMOD Yahoo group files section (there's also a govepie script).

PPJoy is available here

Never done it myself  but others have had success using a  wiil controller  - one guy even got his guitar hero guitar controlling hiis mount!

I plunged into the world of USB hubs and discovered it is a good idea - just one cable running from the mount/hub/cable-spagetti to the computer.  I'll just settle on using the Xbox One controller with wired connection to the at-the-mount USB hub.   I don't need to use it that often during a session, just the initial alignment....

Archived