Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Bettened down the hatches

kirkster501

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A fence panel has blow out from my neighbours fence into my garden. And on a different panel, the trellis from the top of the fence just to the left of that post in my avatar has also blown off. The trellis landed on the ground where the guinea pigs are at the base of my mount. Pigs are safe ;)

So glad I brought my C11 in doors. :ohmy:

Now another neighbours 8 foot trampoline has been blown onto its side......I will wait until the wind subsides before attempting any tidy up lol.

3 hours ago, Paz said:

Do big storms like this tend to be followed by some clear skies or just more cloud?

They used to be followed by nice clear spells with a sprinkling of fluffy white bits here&there, but these days one Low is usually joined to the next incoming Low by banks of cloud :(  And I dont think it is my rose tinted specs

8 minutes ago, SilverAstro said:

They used to be followed by nice clear spells with a sprinkling of fluffy white bits here&there, but these days one Low is usually joined to the next incoming Low by banks of cloud :(  And I dont think it is my rose tinted specs

I've not seen fluffy white clouds for weeks.  Just a constant, grey overcast.

18 hours ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

I just love the way the media make such a big deal of a bit of wind and rain (every storm now has a name).

Run for your lives........Doris is about to hit.

I can see both sides of it in as much of the obligation to warn people to avoid harm and damage yet there is this tendency to big things up and get people going.  At a 1000 foot up on the south Pennines we  enjoy unobstructed views across the hills to the south and west which also means that we catch the wind full on and we've had winds in the past that have made the house "buzz" in a very disconcerting way. From the warnings I was expecting something of that nature if not worse, but  I have to say that although its been pretty horrible, its not been that bad.  North Wales have had winds of 90+ but it must have blown itself out a bit by the time it reached here or somehow we've been on the edge of the main blast. I'd doubt if it touched much more than 60mph here. Winds have subsided considerably here this last couple of hours. Hope every one else has got away unscathed.

The winds were amongst the worst I've seen in 14 years here - what was unusual was the constant roar of the wind, rather than intermittent gusts. The big black poplar out the back was waving around and I'm sure there will be trees down in the woods.

Saw worse when I lived in Aberystwyth - I remember one day walking down a street with slates falling both in front of and behind us!

16 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

We landed but in flipping Newcastle not Manchester! Deep joy. ......just got home from a flight scheduled to land at 930am

Nice to get down, init? A few years ago I landed at Manchester in high winds. The plane was flipping about like being on a bronco ride.  Everyone on board clapped when the pilot got us down safely. 

Heard of an Iceland Air flight today who diverted from Manchester to Liverpool, then had to divert back again as wind has worsened at Liverpool. Bet he didn't have much fuel left then. Eek.

Dont envy you flying today. Must admit I was glad of a day off today as I sit 'up front' for a living!

59 minutes ago, Tangoringo said:

Heard of an Iceland Air flight today who diverted from Manchester to Liverpool, then had to divert back again as wind has worsened at Liverpool. Bet he didn't have much fuel left then. Eek.

Dont envy you flying today. Must admit I was glad of a day off today as I sit 'up front' for a living!

He had a low fuel alert, I heard, had to get it right first time on the return to Manchester.

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

He had a low fuel alert, I heard, had to get it right first time on the return to Manchester.

Nothing like a bit of pressure to concentrate ones mind. ? Still, if they make a film of the event I'm sure there'd be a lot of fuel gauge tapping going on ?

Archived