Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Bettened down the hatches

kirkster501

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, kirkster501 said:

A so far none existent year for astronomy where i live.

And me! I got a little lucky in Jan but wasn't able to see much, i more went outside to observe anything i possibly could :p as the seeing was still somewhat limited!

Some Announcer used the term, the 'Late Doris Day',  well, the lady is not deceased I'm pleased to say.
Lovely Gal. way back then, and as Old as she must be  today, still is   I'll warrant.
I've no Idea what he was trying to say, but egg now  on his face comes to mind.

10 hours ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

I just love the way the media make such a big deal of a bit of wind and rain (every storm now has a name).

Run for your lives........Doris is about to hit.

Yep, the media sensationalise everything.  However, I would like to know when we are to be hit by 70mph winds so that I can take sensible, preventative precautions like getting expensive  gear inside and the roof tied down, just in case.  An ounce of prevention......

The wind has seriously started outside now and I am glad I did the above.

10 hours ago, barkis said:

Some Announcer used the term, the 'Late Doris Day',  well, the lady is not deceased I'm pleased to say.
Lovely Gal. way back then, and as Old as she must be  today, still is   I'll warrant.
I've no Idea what he was trying to say, but egg now  on his face comes to mind.

Yep alive and kicking and 92.  If she's anything like Helen Mirren she probably looks the same now as back then.

Trouble is the media are criticised if they don't warn us enough, but also accused of sensationalising if they make a big deal out of it.  No doubts about it, winds of 80mph are certainly enough to cause some damage, so good advise in the OP to get your gear and move it safely inside.  Always better to be safe than sorry (and significantly poorer) if something does get damaged.

Added bit:

How ironic that as I typed that the rain stopped and the sun came out.

Storm Doris has not put in an appearance in Cumbria yet, at least Carlisle, although some heavy rain,
no winds to speak of. The rain is dying down now, and sun is trying to peek through.
Perhaps we have missed the worst of the Lady's wrath. Hope so, this place has suffered enough from
Storm damage.
Twice in 5 years caused utter devastation for many folks.

Went for a lovely blowy walk this morning. Hardly saw a soul. I must say I sped past the trees on route pretty sharpish. They sounded like they might come down. Two I saw were down in fact. I thought the only cyclist I saw was either very brave or a tad bonkers. 

We had 70+mph gusts in the NE on Tuesday night but the Met Office never even assigned a yellow warning for the area let alone giving it nice name. :hmh:

Observatory remained in one piece thankfully.  Hope you and all your gear remain safe today.

3 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

Doris is going like the clappers here.

I was going shopping this morning but somehow I've gone off the idea :smile:

I'm sure you'll have reserves in the pantry and fridge Michael. No sense in risking life and limb In high winds.  She'll  be  gone tomorrow hopefully. 

Archived