Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

has anyone tried......?

Daz69

Good question, Daz. I got a GoPro Hero 4 Silver and never considered using it for astrophotography. I may try some afocal shots of the moon or some other bright celestial objects in the near future. Please, post any shots you attempt. I'm curious!

Reggie

51 minutes ago, orion25 said:

Good question, Daz. I got a GoPro Hero 4 Silver and never considered using it for astrophotography. I may try some afocal shots of the moon or some other bright celestial objects in the near future. Please, post any shots you attempt. I'm curious!

Reggie

Could be worth a shot I suppose? Likewise, if you get any let me know too please. 

I have thought about it - I took my clone apart so see if it had an M12 lens mount - no. Up to 4K, and 120fps at 720p was what made me take a look. Also couldn't get the remote wifi app on the phone to connect and having to push buttons would be a pain. Small sensor (probably a 1/4", but not sure), but might try again. Afocal, you've nothing to lose - but I expect the massive fov means you'll have to crop a lot out using most EPs.

One thread here: https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/237252-gopro-astro-photography/

• 2 months later...

Has anyone tried it yet? I had a HD action camera (only 720p), which I had removed the IR filter from making it full spectrum and infra red under a UV light and going to try on telescope at night.

I screwed off the camera lens just to leave the sensor, and glued the front tube from an old SR4mm lens to the front of the action camera so that the sensor was right in the middle.

I aimed the telescope to a distant object I use to align my finderscope, connected the camera and tightened it, turned the camera on and adjusted the focus wheel and the picture was excellent, focus was about perfect, very sharp. (it was daylight here)

when I was setting the scope on the object I was using a 26mm, when I removed it and attached the camera to the scope, turned it on and refocused the object was Bigger (closer?) than what it was through the 26mm.

I cant wait to try it on the moon, see how the camera settings affect the picture. I don't know how it will fare at night on the moon, if it will pick up anything at all. I only watched on the camera screen without recording so worst comes to worst I can use it as a telescope viewer during the day.

Archived