Narrowband

M78 and some of Barnards Loop

swag72

Way out of my comfort zone - This is an HaLRGB image of M78 and some of Barnards Loop. Taken with the Dual imaging rig, I took on board comments I'd read from others about how difficult a target this was and so I chucked quite a few hours at it..... easy with the dual rig!! Was it difficult?.... you bet!! Do I like HaLRGB processing? Nope!!! I haven't tried to get the best I can with minimal data but instead have accepted that for me, I find life easier with quite a few hours under my belt :)

All comments welcomed, good, bad and indifferent, especially as I have so little confidence in processing this kind of target.

Details
M: Mesu 200
T: Takahashi FSQ85 0.73x 
C: QSI683 and Moravian G2-8300 with Baader RGB filters, 3nm Ha Astrodon filters and Hutech IDAS.

70x300s RGB
30x1800s Ha
45x1200s Luminance

Total exposure time 47 hours 30 mins.

You can see a larger version on my website here

M78_SGL.jpg

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just been browsing your website Sara and saw the mono version of this and was just thinking that I was looking forward to the colour version of it.  Switch back to SGL and here it is - and beautiful it is too.

47 1/2 hours though!!!!  I only managed just under 45 hours in total for the whole of 2016 even with the dual rig.  

I am struggling even to get any colour at all on this target due to having to wait until I go to a dark site, and when I do it's the wrong time of the year and all I can manage is 1 - 2 hours maximum on all 3 colours if I am lucky. 

I know you say Broadband is not your comfort zone, but you still manage to produce a stunning image that many of us would die for.  

Love it.

Carole 

Just wow !

I love the fact it's both subtle and punchy at the same time. 

Nice colours for such a wild area. I like the star colours too. 

I think you can rest easy with the RGB processing as you've obviously " Got it "

There can't be many images of this out there that compare. ( I did look ! )

Dave.

3 hours ago, Allinthehead said:

That's stunning Sara.

Thanks! :)

2 hours ago, orion25 said:

Beautiful, Sara! Rich color and great detail.

Regards,

Reggie

Thanks Reggie! :)

2 hours ago, carastro said:

Just been browsing your website Sara and saw the mono version of this and was just thinking that I was looking forward to the colour version of it.  Switch back to SGL and here it is - and beautiful it is too.

47 1/2 hours though!!!!  I only managed just under 45 hours in total for the whole of 2016 even with the dual rig.  

I am struggling even to get any colour at all on this target due to having to wait until I go to a dark site, and when I do it's the wrong time of the year and all I can manage is 1 - 2 hours maximum on all 3 colours if I am lucky. 

I know you say Broadband is not your comfort zone, but you still manage to produce a stunning image that many of us would die for.  

Love it.

Carole 

Thanks Carole - The only way that I thought I could make this easier to process was with data..... I'm not comfortable enough with HaLRGB to try to get a decent image out of a short time :)

2 hours ago, simmo39 said:

Wow, thats brilliant. just luv the colours.

Thanks! Glad that you like it :)

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

Very nicely done and, as ever, deeeeeeep!

Olly

Cheers Olly - I appreciate your help with this one :)

1 hour ago, davew said:

Just wow !

I love the fact it's both subtle and punchy at the same time. 

Nice colours for such a wild area. I like the star colours too. 

I think you can rest easy with the RGB processing as you've obviously " Got it "

There can't be many images of this out there that compare. ( I did look ! )

Dave.

Thanks Dave - It's very kind of you to say..... I did look around the net as well and found that most were either very widefield or close up.... I felt a bit betwix and between :)

1 hour ago, jtlandreneau said:

this is a beaut! I've never seen a picture with the loop and M78. I've only attempted M78 once, it's amazingly difficult, and not particularly good looking. On par with your other work, this is quite a nice picture

Thanks! I think you're right about it being a difficult target - That's why I threw hours at it! :)

6 minutes ago, Nova2000 said:

Beautiful image swag72. Nicely done. You seem to be busy in Orion :). Lots if detail! 

Clear skies 

Thanks! Glad that you like it :)

I really appreciate your efforts with this image Sara especially for being a BB image (with added Ha to boot).  I hope you're pleased as this is a terrific image.

You have achieved a very natural image with no one element of the composition dominating.  Well done and keep the BB coming :grin:.

5 hours ago, Star101 said:

That is an amazing image. I love the detail and the colours too. 

Thanks!! :)

4 hours ago, gnomus said:

Very nice Sara.  So, 47.5 hours for one panel - how long to complete the whole Orion widefield a là Tom'n'Olly?

Cheers Steve - I realised that I actually have quite a bit of the Orion area! I think I'll leave the wide stuff though to Olly :)

1 hour ago, gorann said:

That is a breathtaking version of M78! You clearly know how to swing it in any field of AP Sara.

Thanks Goran - Kind of you to say :)

57 minutes ago, Barry-Wilson said:

I really appreciate your efforts with this image Sara especially for being a BB image (with added Ha to boot).  I hope you're pleased as this is a terrific image.

You have achieved a very natural image with no one element of the composition dominating.  Well done and keep the BB coming :grin:.

Thanks Barry - I am certainly not comfortable with the Broadband stuff....... But I'll give it another go soon :)

40 minutes ago, theo said:

I love this Sara. Smooth, detailed and a fine handling of colour. With that amount of data collection I would expect something special from you and guess what - it is!!!

Pete

Thanks Pete - Glad that you like it :)

7 hours ago, johnrt said:

You always manage to go a little deeper, or present an object in a way not seen before, I'm a big fan of this.

Thanks John! Very kind of you to say......... I think that the focal length has given the different feel to include some of Barnards Loop.

That is an uncommon view of M-78 enbedded in Bernard Loop. A true masterpiece, where we can see fine details of filaments of dark nebulae, despite the enormous field of view.

I should congratulate you for this outstanding job and say thank you for sharing this marvelous image,

Fernando

19 hours ago, toxic said:

wow this is very different from what is normally seen unless its a widefield image but like this its a real beaut well done Sara

Thanks Chris :)

16 hours ago, Rudeviewer said:

Wow this is really nice!  M78 seems to be floating in 3d in this image.  

Glad that you like it :)

9 hours ago, nandopg said:

That is an uncommon view of M-78 enbedded in Bernard Loop. A true masterpiece, where we can see fine details of filaments of dark nebulae, despite the enormous field of view.

I should congratulate you for this outstanding job and say thank you for sharing this marvelous image,

Fernando

Thank you Fernando - Very kind words indeed :)

8 hours ago, laudropb said:

Another lovely image Sara.

Thanks!! :)

Excellent as always Sara :)  I don't like RGB processing either but you have succeeded.  I've looked at M78 but got nothing though that's not surprising if you needed over 40 hours - no chance of that over here!!

Archived