Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Filter cleaning

SmokeyJoe

I have a cheap set of colour filters I think they are sky watcher and cost around £35 and a cheapish UNC/LPR, they all need cleaning (dust and other marks, fingerprints I think). I have read on other posts that baader wonderfluid is recommended for lenses and assume that it would be ok to use on filters.  I have also come across Zeiss lens cleaner that is intended for camera optics but is available locally.  Has anybody used this? Is it any good?

I use a microfiber cloth to wipe them after holding them above my mouth and gently huffing on them to put a little moisture on them (avoid spitting on them).  Just make sure to blow any grit off the surfaces first with a bulb type blower.

On 2/25/2017 at 09:56, Louis D said:

Just don't put it directly on the filters' surface.  Wet the wiping cloth with it instead.  If you put it directly on the optical surface, it can wick it's way around the edge where it becomes impossible to wipe away.

Yes, well aware of that, thanks.

I personally put a mere drop on a q-tip.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived