Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Imaging near the airport - impossible?

Herra Kuulapaa

I happen to live near the Helsinki international airport. It's great! (if you travel a lot). Not that great if you happen to like astrophotography :(

Luckily there aren't that many led street light in the area so I can still do narrow band imaging.

Here is one taken last night QHY163M/TAK106:

Trilobiitti_IC443_1200.jpg

Great image Herra, I do like that field of view !

On the airport subject, although I'm fortunate to have relatively dark skies,  planes are probably my major source of artificial light pollution. However, they don't really cause an issue for imaging since the resultant pixels lines easily get rejected without a trace with my stacking software.

Alan 

1 hour ago, happy-kat said:

One of my favourite objects. Is it more sodium lighting that you have in the area? I live between Gatwick and Brighton I think Brighton gives a bigger orange dome then the airport.

Yep, mainly orange, but they also use some mixed light with wider band. Luckily I'm located south from it and only image south as well :)

These were taken on same spot as well:

CED214

Rosette

Archived