Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25_winners.thumb.jpg.fe4e711c64054f3c9486c752d0bcd6f2.jpg

Scotlandyard

Distance in degrees between Procyon & Aldebaran

Hello everyone,

I am having trouble with the settings of my Orion Intelliscope system. I am supposed to calibrate the intelliscope with 2 stars distant from at least 60 degrees.

Could someone tell me if the 2 stars I am using (Procyon & Aldebaran) are at least 60 degrees apart from eachother? Using the fist/finger way of measuring seems to me that they are just over 60 degrees.

I am having wrap errors of 3.4 so that is quite a lot. Maybe another issue is that my balcony is not totally flat.

Thanks for your confirmation.

Scotlandyard

Edited by Scotlandyard

Procyon is 46 degrees from Aldebaran

Algol would do the trick

IMG_9397.PNG

IMG_9398.PNG

If you download Stellarium you can measure the angular distance between any two objects. Stellarium:- http://www.stellarium.org/

BTW from my understanding of the Orion Inteliscope system your balcony not being level won't be an issue.

HTH and good luck.

Edited by Astro Imp

So long as you initially carefully set the scope absolutely level ( on first set up, with a spirit level), my understanding is likewise that your observing surface (ground, decking, concrete whatever) is not a factor in getting a good low reading.  I've managed a couple of 0.0, but usually not! Good enough to get (for example) Uranus in my eyepiece, even if not centred.

Persevere - it's a good (nice and) simple system :)

thanks all for your ideas. I have Stellarium but I don't manage to measure the angles. Do I need a plug-in or something to enable that feature?