Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Just joined About me

RonKramer

Hi all - looking for a place to learn.  I had a 8" SCT many years ago and it was heavy. RARELY used it because of its complex setup and weight!  I read the best telescope is one that gets used.  So I sold my gal and replaced her with a much smaller ETX-125.

Used it some. Found it also "sat unused" so I'd rather (not use my 8" back) oh well.  The eclipse coming up has me motivated. I pulled out the ETX and ordered a Baader filter. To get photos, I found some parts today and made a mount to put one of

my cameras on it.  (I'm a retired studio owner/photographers).  So I have it all mounted up.  But I just thought.  Doesn't the ETX go through all the wiggles and moves at start up? I think the camera may be in the way?   I'll post a pic.

Also added a couple shots from a few years ago. (used just a camera and some photo mylar I had laying around for a impromptu shoot of the Venus transition). 

522588_3646856262863_1376038486_n.jpg

544727_3646516254363_1614388211_n.jpg

scopeIMG_0608.jpg

Welcome to the forum Ron

I like the idea for the camera mount, but I think it will cause you problem when you use the mount. It will be fine at lower altitudes in the sky, but once you get up above a certain level the bar will hit the base of the mount. You would have the same problem during the alignment process I imagine, even if not imaging near the zenith.

I would at least remove it until you are familiar with how the moaunt performs on start up and during alignment so you ensure you don't damage the motors.

Hello Ron, I am also Ron, hope you enjoy the community, lot's of nice folk here in S G L,

we must be, the two Ron Ron Ron's the two Ron Ron's!! "I'll get my coat", got it in before 

someone else had the same tune in there head.

Clear Sky's.

Hi Guys, just joined as well, and come from +10GMT, other side of the planet earth, from the land down under. I have a 10" Skywatcher collapsible Dob, as well as a Skywatcher ED80 on an EQ5 mount. I am also on committee with Southern Astronomy Society, which cover membership Goldcoast region of Queensland, as well as Northern River NSW. SAS is very active club, and do displays for primary schools, as well as presentation for Space Badge Level 1&2 for scout/guide movement, and have put together a program from scout/guide group leaders handbook. Some members of the club are doing amazing things, and within the club, has a small group of members known as BOSS, which stands for Backyard Observers of Super Nova's. Over the last 8-9 years members of BOSS have discovered over 150+ previously unknown supernovas, as well as several previously unknown comets. The club also conducts public viewing/info nights on the foreshore of the Goldcoast, and have over 600+ members of the public turn up to observe Jupiter, Saturn and other deep space objects on these nights,  with around 15-20 club members having their scopes set up for members of the public to view through. The club also has a monthly newsletter called Event Horizon, which is available to browse on our club website www.sas.org.au  Have a totally different view of the heavens from down under. Orion is reverse to northern hemisphere, with Pleiades (M45) close to Orion with its Horsehead Nebula. The Southern Cross is an amazing place to explore, with Jewel Box,  Coalsack nebula, Eta Carina Nebula, the golf ball cluster in Omega Centauri venturing further afield have the Tarantula nebula. The 64m metre radio telescope at Parks, western NSW, was designed by Barnes Wallace, WW2 dam buster fame and built in 1961. The club also partakes in the annual International Night of the Moon. In the winter months have magnificent view of Scorpios.  The pic in my profile was taken of the super moon back in December 2016, rising over the ocean, with SeaWorld theme park in the background. That night was thousands of people lining the foreshore imaging the moon as it rose out of the Pacific Ocean. Had my 10" Dobson setup that night, and had over 100+ people walking past, observe the moon through the dob. Get so much enjoyment from sharing the universe above us. Recently we did a display for grade 1 5yo students at a school on the Goldcoast. After the kids had been through invited parents and carers to observe the rings of Saturn, as a beautiful clear night. Had a lady walk up to me afterwards, and she said she is 81year of age, and her great grand daughter is a first year student at the school. Was the first time she had observed the rings of Saturn through a telescope, and she said how much joy the club had given her great grand daughter, the opportunity to observe Saturn, the moon, and other objects through a telescope    Happy Viewing  John

Archived