Walking on the Moon

Anti-vibration pads, to buy or not to buy? That is the question.

Anti-vibration pads.

ss+(2017-02-21+at+10.01.06).jpg

Are they worth it? Which brand do you own and how easily is the difference visible between owning a set and not owning one?

Why are the Celestron ones £84?

Saw these and though t they were a good idea and made sense, but how useful they are I am not sure! 

As always, any advice is surely helpful for me and any other forum users!

Cheers

I have the Meade ones but I only paid £15 used for the set. They help vibrations to dampen down more quickly but don't stop vibrations starting up.

I use them sometimes and not others. If my scope is on grass then I don't find the pads necessary. They seem to be more useful if the scope is on contrete / patio.

I'd rate them as handy to have but not an essential purchase and certainly not for £84 !.

Edited by John

PS: I ought to add the the Meade ones use the 3-piece construction as do the ones in the pic you posted. This design has a layer of sorbothene between the base of the pad and the cup that the tripod leg sits in. The sorbothene isolates the tripod leg from the ground and the vibrations. At least thats the theory and it does work on dampening vibrations at any rate.

Edited by John

I cut up 100% new old-stock Sorbothane insoles I bought off of ebay for cheap and put squares of the material under each tripod foot.  It works great to dampen vibrations in under a second that used to take three seconds or more to dampen.  These two ebay ads are similar to what I bought.  I see that you can buy Sorbothane in all sorts of shapes nowadays to avoid the low brow route I went.

On 2/21/2017 at 19:11, Louis D said:

I cut up 100% new old-stock Sorbothane insoles I bought off of ebay for cheap and put squares of the material under each tripod foot.  It works great to dampen vibrations in under a second that used to take three seconds or more to dampen.  These two ebay ads are similar to what I bought.  I see that you can buy Sorbothane in all sorts of shapes nowadays to avoid the low brow route I went.

Hi Louis -

I also timed the Sorbothane® home-brew pads I spoke of above - against some of the store-bought ones from Orion, Celestron, so forth. The home-brew Sorbothane® pads did indeed chill-out the mount/scope in 1 second (or less, I found), as opposed to the far more expensive "hockey-pucks" I bought years ago from Orion-USA. My recipe is simply 2 Sorbo's wrapped-up in plastic-wrap. As Sorbothane® is rather tacky/sticky to the touch and tends to take hold of debris, just the plastic-wrap suffices to keep them clean.

At last sight here in the US, the price for the store-bought one's went up to around $60/set-of-three. My Amazon® bag-full cost me $20 - enough for at least 2 full sets comprised of 3 pads each. Works better, costs less. A rarity of a variety I like!

Dave

PS - That should have read "...for at least 2 full sets of 3 pads..."

Sorbothane® Pads c.JPG

Edited by Dave In Vermont
  • Like 1