SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M42, all guns blazing.

ollypenrice

With M42 already near the meridian at nightfall we brought all three rigs to bear on it for this one. The dual Taks did the widefield, one on RGB and the other on luminance. We had three hours, so they collected 6 hours' data. Meanwhile I thought I'd set us a processing challenge by shooting the Trapezium short subs only in the TEC 140 to save time and gain resolution on the bright nebulae. This did make the layer masking of the shorts a bit harder but the resolution gain was considerable. Shorts were 15 seconds in RGB and 60 seconds in LRGB. This was done with one of our present guests, Mike. Transparency was good but the seeing was on the poor side. Cameras were 2xAtik 11000 and 1x SXVH36, full frame monos. Mounts were Mesu 200 for the dual Taks and Avalon Linear for the TEC.  Processed in AstroArt, Registar, PI and PsCS3.

M42 7Hrs 3 SCOPES 3.jpg

Crop:

M42 7Hrs 3 SCOPES crop.jpg

Olly

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Super pic Olly. I can see the trapezium almost resolved into 4 stars.

Like moise said, what is the Greenish dust between M43 and The Running Man. Is that an artefact / processing thing, or is this something we have not seen before?

Tom

1 hour ago, moise212 said:

Top quality as usual, very beautiful!

There's some colour between the Running Man and M43 which I've never seen before.

Aaand... there's something missing on the left side...

1 hour ago, Tom OD said:

Super pic Olly. I can see the trapezium almost resolved into 4 stars.

Like moise said, what is the Greenish dust between M43 and The Running Man. Is that an artefact / processing thing, or is this something we have not seen before?

Tom

Yes, it's odd. I have two previous M42s, one made up like this one from widefield plus TEC and one which is all TEC. Both show a hint of green whispy shapes between the main nebulae but this new image 'shows it more clearly' - or has accidentally exaggerated it in processing! :icon_scratch: On looking back through the processing history I can, again, see a hint of it in the stretched RGB but I think it is highly exaggerated in the final and needs toning down.

Here's a revised version with those greens still showing but more convincingly, maybe? Click on the image and the full size button is lower left. Well spotted, folks.

Olly

M42 7Hrs 3 SCOPES 4.jpg

Edit. By the way, this version seems to have a little less redness in the dust on here but they are, in fact identical. I only touched the tiny part of the image under discussion.

23 minutes ago, PatrickGilliland said:

A lovely image Olly (that made me sigh, bemoaning lack of any skies for what feels like ever!), that aside super job all round, I think the running man is a stand-out feature, it literally jumps out of the dust in a vivid explosion of colour.  Nice work.

Paddy

Yes, as an imager I'm always a bit embarrased by the Running Man because it is more intensely coloured than M42 and can look brighter, when at the eyepiece it is a bit of a nonentity. Why it responnds so well to the camera I don't know.

Olly

I especially like the framing of this.  It would not have occurred to me to frame this in 'Portrait' mode and, as such, I wouldn't have very much, if any, of that interesting 'dusty substances' in the lower part of the frame.  Of course I don't have the same absurdly over-sized chips that you do either.... 

1 hour ago, gnomus said:

I especially like the framing of this.  It would not have occurred to me to frame this in 'Portrait' mode and, as such, I wouldn't have very much, if any, of that interesting 'dusty substances' in the lower part of the frame.  Of course I don't have the same absurdly over-sized chips that you do either.... 

It's a Freudian thing...

Olly

Archived