SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Skywatcher 80 ed focus with a x85 reducer

Hi guys..after a bit of info regarding the focus point of my skywatcher 80 ed(light blue one)

I bought it secondhand,and as i wanted to use it for imaging i bought the x85 reducer to go with it,then had to buy the adapter to enable to push fit into the focusser..then had to buy a m42 to m48 adapter to fit to the canon t ring..it all fits but cant get sharp focus on it...the focusser is racked all the way in , i feel i need it to go another few mm to achieve sharp focus..does that mean the adapter tube is too long,or too short..or is it the extra spacer from the m42-m48 thread causing some probs..

I can use it without the reducer but find its a bit slow..any ideas? i enclose a pic of the setup..

20170219_164353.jpg

Marky beat me to it, I thought that reducer was a direct screw on fit to the focuser draw tube?

Unless that's not the case with the older blue tube ED80? If so, you may need to take some length out of that setup to allow a touch more in focus, also check the flattener to camera chip distance is correct.

2 minutes ago, parallaxerr said:

Marky beat me to it, I thought that reducer was a direct screw on fit to the focuser draw tube?

Unless that's not the case with the older blue tube ED80? If so, you may need to take some length out of that setup to allow a touch more in focus, also check the flattener to camera chip distance is correct.

Ditto :happy11:

39 minutes ago, Marky1973 said:

Can you not screw the reducer directly to the focuser tube? That's what I do, I don't use the nosepiece. Might give you a few extra mm - never had a problem with thatsame set-up, minus the nosepiece.

Id rather do that,and would give me the extra inward travel..what adapter do you use for that?..i take it you screw into the first part of the focuser as the second part is a push and secure with the thumbscrews

40 minutes ago, parallaxerr said:

Where would i find out the correct distance?

Yes, the whole black asssembly into which the thumbscrews are fitted can be removed. It may be tight as the knurled part towards the objective end is a locking ring. You should be left with nothing but the silver draw tube with a male thread.

EDIT: the adapter is only required for aftermarket focusers that do not have the SW thread, in which case you can use the nosepiece adapter inserted and retained by the thumbscrews, like a diagonal.

Found this photo with all but the locking ring removed.

post-18339-133877536928.jpg

Archived