SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

NASA to Host News Conference on Discovery Beyond Our Solar System

johnfosteruk

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Im hazarding a guess that they have found an exoplanet in a far off solar system which lies within the "goldielocks" region of its parent star with "is not too hot and not too cold" and shows all the signs of having liquid water on its surface.

... free oxygen in its atmosphere?

NASA will hold a news conference at 1 p.m. EST Wednesday, Feb. 22, to present new findings on planets that orbit stars other than our sun, known as exoplanets. The event will air live on NASA Television and the agency's website. 

They've probably found an Earth sized planet in a goldilocks zone somewhere - just a guess :smile:

6 hours ago, johnfosteruk said:

I think Paul's got it to be fair. 

Id rather like it to be a first visual observation/imaging of an exoplanet myself but I doubt it. 

Already exists see below:

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap170201.html

I wonder if it is just a revamp re-release of the above as although already out there it seems to have gone largely unnoticed and it is just an incredible piece of imagery that should be brought to the masses.

It won't be as big as evidence of intelligent life - no dyson sphere or megastructure - but I think it's got to be more than just another Goldilocks planet.  Best guess is something like an oxygen atmosphere detected.  Anything less than that and they've really oversold it. 

Archived