Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

300P Skywatcher Flextube on a NEQ6 mount

Hi all,

Sorry, I am new to this forum but I would like to ask your advice !!

I have a Skywatcher Skyliner 300P Flextube AZ SynScan and I would like to place the tube on an equitorial NEQ6 mount.

Can you give me any advice please?

Thank you in-advance

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I don't think it's possible to fit a flextube onto an equatorial mount unless it's the little 130mm Heritage. You would need to fit tube rings around the truss tubes to fix the dovetail bar to and I don't think they (the truss tubes) would take the strain.

I hope I'm incorrect but I can't see how it could be achieved :icon_scratch:

I concur with John. But would like to be proven wrong ultimately...

Depending what the reasoning might have been behind your enquiry, this might be going up completely the wrong path. But might using one of these platforms achieve the goal ?

http://www.equatorial-platforms-uk.co.uk/home

If so, a fellow inmate is selling one that could be of interest...

I have the Skyliner 250P, and I don't think the optical assembly will fit easily on an NEQ6. The Skyliner tube is effectively hung, from big bosses, in a fork formed by the 2 sides of the Dobsonian mount, whereas the NEQ6 uses a dovetail plate.

I have just looked at my tube, and the passive side boss (that sits on the two rollers) is held on with 2 bolts, the active, drive side has 4 bolts. I suppose that it would be possible to remove the two bosses, and cover the bolt holes with black tape. The main tube could then be mounted on 2 rings, which, in turn, would need to be attached to a dovetail plate. As the extended tube assembly is roughly balanced about the mounting bosses, the rings would be clear of the truss tubes.

The 250P is quite heavy, so the 300P will be heavier. With the Dobsonian assembly, it is easy to lower the tube on to the supports, at not much more than knee level. I would not relish lifting the assembly to chest height, sliding it into the dovetail clamp (angled at over 50 degrees for North Yorkshire), and then holding it with one hand whilst using the other to tighten the clamp. Perhaps you do weight lifting as another hobby.

Regards,

Geoff

A Skywatcher 10" solid tube on the NEQ6 Pro is a beast and not really stable enough for observing even on the stillest of nights - it vibrates at the slightest touch - for AP forget it all together. A 12" would be worse still and a Flextube 12" pretty much unmanageable. You really need a much beefier mount for anything over 10" is my experience. Hth :)

I have to disagree with a comment above I've used a 250P Dobsonian telescope with my NEQ6 for a few years now for observing & imaging & never had any issues, although obviously if it's breezy like any large Newt it won't be the most stable, but on calm nights never had an issue.Imaging rig.jpg

Needle.jpg

I do however agree with other comments a flextube on a NEQ6 would probably not work, if it was a solid tube then with tube rings you could probably get it balanced to use, but it would be a bit of a beast.

Archived