Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astronomik NB filter clean

Hi All, 

I seek some advice from you fine people.

Last night i thought i should start fitting in my newly bought Astronomik filters in the ZWO filter wheel and noticed that the HA filter (the smoother side) had like grease marks all over it. Like it was tried to be cleaned up but didn't work. Got a bit concerned and tried to rub it off using a micro fibre cloth (without any solutions of course but a bit of breath) which i think i've removed but i'm still very concerned. If i breathe over the filter, the smudge marks re-appear but clears soon after.

Can i please confirm what should i do? should i be worried? should i clean it up? Will this damage my filter if i leave it like that? will it have an impact on my images?

Sorry too many questions but as you can see i'm a little concerned about this.

Thank you in advance

I haven't used it yet unfortunately because i only just put the filter in last night and it's cloudy so can't comment but just wanted to check with you guys. The filter when i started to touch it go these smudge marks like when you would clean your glasses and get these greasy marks all over when they're not clean. I did remove it as much as i can (with the fiber cloth) but i guess it might still have a few visible grease marks on it.

52 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

There's advice on the Astronomik site on cleaning  filters.

Dave

http://www.astronomik.com/en/accessoires/optikreinigung.html

Dave, cheers for this mate. I have had a look at this link. They talk about using the same, fiber cloth but also say if that doesn't fix it then use Isopropanol. When i search on google for Isopropanol, i only find "isopropyl alcohol" or some ebay links which i wouldn't use for this type of thing because it might be counterfeit product. 

3 minutes ago, souls33k3r said:

I haven't used it yet unfortunately because i only just put the filter in last night and it's cloudy so can't comment but just wanted to check with you guys. The filter when i started to touch it go these smudge marks like when you would clean your glasses and get these greasy marks all over when they're not clean. I did remove it as much as i can (with the fiber cloth) but i guess it might still have a few visible grease marks on it.

Dave, cheers for this mate. I have had a look at this link. They talk about using the same, fiber cloth but also say if that doesn't fix it then use Isopropanol. When i search on google for Isopropanol, i only find "isopropyl alcohol" or some ebay links which i wouldn't use for this type of thing because it might be counterfeit product. 

I've used Baader Wonder Fluid on filters before, when I've stuck my fat finger on one, with no adverse effects.

Dave

Archived