Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Finally able to show grandson some stars

almcl

My 7 year old grandson came to stay on Saturday night.  He's previously expressed interest in 'granddad's telescope' but until now opportunities to show him the night sky with it have been few.  

The weather forecast was not encouraging but come late afternoon the cloud seemed to be thinning so I thought it worth getting the Az EQ6 out and setting up.  Miraculously, a little before sunset Venus was clearly visible through a large gap in the clouds, so we had a good look at that.  "Oooh, it's like a small moon", I was told. 

We had to break then for tea but luckily, right after we finished eating, the sky was completely clear.  So after a quick refresh of Venus we took in Mars, then the Pleiades, which were described as "Cool", "how many of the seven sisters can you see?"  "there's a lot more than seven, there must be 30." was the verdict.  We then had a look at Betelgeuse, more for the name than anything else.  I then started to point out Orion's belt only to be interrupted with "Grandad, I've known Orion's belt since I was three!"  So we moved down to the great nebula, more challenging, obviously, as it hadn't got to full dark, or anything near, but he could make out the trapezium and the nebulosity.

Next day he was easily able to remember and describe all we had seen to his mum and dad, so hopefully the seed has been planted.

• 2 weeks later...

It's always good to show someone else and to spark interest in a child is particularly good fun.  Reading above maybe I'll have to see if I can find Mizar and A and B myself!

Oh, yes and I meant to add, I've found Castor and that is another nice thing to look at next time - appearing to be a single star then you up the magnification and two perfectly formed dots jump out of the initial single light spec.

Archived