SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Permacloud

BRUN

I bought a telescope about 6 weeks ago, I must have used it about 6 times, is their always so much cloud around ? Ive not used it at all for at least 2 weeks as ive not had a clear night.

Just ranting lol

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here in southern Germany, seven sessions up to now for me (about four or five more would have been possible). 2013: 44; 2014: 72; 2015: 49; 2016: 88 sessions (retiree; purely visual; almost no solar). So, about one observation a week or so - your count doesn't seem to be so far off.

Be patient; some day, you'll have a streak of 6, 8 or even 10 clear nights with little or no moonlight, and you'll be lacking sleep and seeking arguments not to go out once more..... have been there August/September 2016 with 38 observations!

Stephan

Conditions have been unusually challenging so far this year, I'd say you've done pretty well all things considered. When it hasn't been cloudy, it's been a full moon or awful seeing. I managed a few sessions early in the new year but haven't been out for at least 4 weeks. The next week is looking about as unpromising as it's possible to be.

I think you have develop an almost "obsessive" view of clear skies. I grab any opportunity I can, whenever it's possible.  

On Saturday evening I arrived home at 5pm, having been out most of day. The looks I got when as I entered the house proclaiming "just popping out the back, for a quick look at Venus" :icon_biggrin:

5 hours ago, BRUN said:

I bought a telescope about 6 weeks ago, I must have used it about 6 times, is their always so much cloud around ? Ive not used it at all for at least 2 weeks as ive not had a clear night.

Just ranting lol

I was also fortunate to buy a new scope in early January, but to date I have only managed a single session!  The joys of living in Scotland.  This time last year the weather cleared for a number of weeks and I was out most nights, so I am hoping the weather improves for March!

I am sorry to hear that folks are cloud bound like me ......at least I am not alone which gives me a modicum of comfort.

Decent nights pretty rare of recent  weeks ( Northumberland)  but  the agony piles on when  a squint out of the window  at  my  3 - 4 am   pad to the bathroom  has sometimes  revealed s a  crystal clear night.  I am too weak kneed tp be tempted.  Anyway, by the time I  was dressed it would probably cloud over again.

Storm Doris - haven't we already had storm Doris, or perhaps the return of storm Doris is on its way and due to whip in on Thursday. Bringing snow particularly forecast for southern Scotland, will impact North Wales then Northern UK with 80mph gusts.  The wk-end looks potentially gusty to, I also go observing in Northumberland, will be watching with interest for any clear sky opportunity Friday through Sunday night.

I've been deeply disappointed by February too.  We are promised a few clear patches tomorrow night but gusts up to 40-50mph :-(    We did have one clear patch a few nights ago but the moon was up and I had a very early shift the following morning to had to go to bed anyway. Grrr.

I too bought a new scope in January and have only been out with it once since and while centering the polar scope on the mount, it fell apart so I couldn't polar align which was a shame as it is an imaging scope. I have managed one good session with the astronomy club with my 10". I have also just bought a Canon 60D and haven't had the chance to use that yet either.  :hmh:

Yes, since the end of September last year the weather has been much poorer than all other years since 2012 according to my logs. Just hope I remember how to set the gear up when the weather does finally improve.

Stick in there and try to resist the urge towards retail therapy. :-)

Best regards,
Steve

Just come in from the garden due to a rain shower :hmh:. I wouldn't normally suffer dodging showers but the opportunities to observe have been so few and far between recently that I'll be going back out again when the clouds clear. Initial views looked promising with regard to clarity.

10 minutes ago, David Levi said:

Just come in from the garden due to a rain shower :hmh:. I wouldn't normally suffer dodging showers but the opportunities to observe have been so few and far between recently that I'll be going back out again when the clouds clear. Initial views looked promising with regard to clarity.

I wonder if I will get that shower ? - I'm across the Severn from you David.

I'll stand by ready to cover my scope just in case !

Just managed 20mins with the new scope.  I had a nice view of Pleiades and the Orion Nebula from the garden.  The Starwave 70ed and tripod combo really were a plus, very quick setup and I was easily able to dart back into the house as the weather closed in.  Quite pleased, although it may be a while until there is another gap in the clouds.

Archived