Narrowband

NEQ6 Pro Synscan

Hi all! Got my SW 250PDS on a NEQ6 PRO Synscan a couple of days ago and now need to charge it up so it will be power on it until the skies are clear. Just wondering, can I use a universal charger to charge it inside before taking it out? I will buy a car battery as well, but right now the scope is inside my living room. The charger I am thinking of is a E:ZO AC/DC plugin adapter 600 mAh.

Strange the mount doesn't come with a power supply :hmh:

Thanks in advance!

If the psu can only supply 600ma then the answer is no, it won't work. The NEQ6 requires more amps than your psu can supply so will fail to operate when slewing. The psu probably does not have a regulated output so you might find that when put under load the voltage output could increase and damage the electronics on the mount.

One more thing that suggests to me that the psu is unsuitable is that that they quote a mAh capacity for the psu. Power supplies are rated in milliamps (mA) or amps (A) and rechargeable battery capacities are quotes in amp hours or milliamp hours, Ah or mAh. Obviously they don't know what they are talking about.

Mounts are not generally supplied with a psu.

You need to make sure the polarity of any non-standard power supply is correct. And that the voltage output falls into the range of that acceptable by the mount (11-16v I think but check). You'll also find that 600mA won't be enough to move the mount, you'll need something which can deliver 1-2 amps. 

James

4 minutes ago, jambouk said:

You need to make sure the polarity of any non-standard power supply is correct. And that the voltage output falls into the range of that acceptable by the mount (11-16v I think but check). You'll also find that 600mA won't be enough to move the mount, you'll need something which can deliver 1-2 amps. 

James

I think Skywatcher recommend at least 2amps for the NEQ6, even more is better.

Just to be clear, you do realise that the mount does not need to be 'charged up'? According to the manual (which I just called up), it requires an external 12v 2 amp power supply, which could be a mains powered supply as recommended above, or a large 12v battery. Note that the battery charger for a 12v lead- acid battery supplies not 12v, but a somewhat higher voltage (13.8v) to make the charge current flow in, and merely needs to supply enough current to charge the battery in a reasonable time.

If all this was clear to you, my apologies.

Ordered the one from FLO, but since I live in Norway it will take some days by post. Can I use an adapter like this one inside? Looks like the power is correct. It is my first synscan goto mount so would like to teach how to use it properly ;) 

IMG_0711.JPG

I would be very reluctant to use the above supply. It obviously uses interchangeable, bipolar, plugs and if you get it the wrong way round you risk destroying the control electronics in the mount.

If you have access to eBay (other outlets are likely to be available) in Norway, look for a dedicated 12V 2A power supply, and make sure that the output plug is the correct size and polarity (usually centre positive).

If you have access to a voltmeter, always check the off-load output voltage and polarity before connecting it to anything expensive.

Regards,

Geoff

The photo shows how it would be possible to connect it with the inner sleeve +ve (good for all of the mounts that I have experienced), or -ve ( as shown in your photo, and likely to destroy mount electronics unless the mount incorporates "idiot proof" polarity protection).

If you are going to use a variable-voltage supply with one of these plugs, use a voltmeter to check the off-load voltage and polarity, and if OK, use glue or adhesive tape on the voltage selector switch and output plug, to stop them being changed by accident.

With an AZ/ALT mount, the maximum current demand can be kept to a minimum by having the centre of gravity of the optical assembly (with typical eyepiece) in line with the middle of the big nut at the centre of the dovetail clamp. This is easily checked on a bench by sitting the tube on a bit of pipe, or broom handle, finding the balance point for best seesaw action, and marking the tube, or dovetail plate, at that point. If you are also fitting a camera in place of the eyepiece, you will probably need to mark a second balance point.

Regards,

Geoff

On 21.2.2017 at 08:53, Geoff Lister said:

The photo shows how it would be possible to connect it with the inner sleeve +ve (good for all of the mounts that I have experienced), or -ve ( as shown in your photo, and likely to destroy mount electronics unless the mount incorporates "idiot proof" polarity protection).

If you are going to use a variable-voltage supply with one of these plugs, use a voltmeter to check the off-load voltage and polarity, and if OK, use glue or adhesive tape on the voltage selector switch and output plug, to stop them being changed by accident.

With an AZ/ALT mount, the maximum current demand can be kept to a minimum by having the centre of gravity of the optical assembly (with typical eyepiece) in line with the middle of the big nut at the centre of the dovetail clamp. This is easily checked on a bench by sitting the tube on a bit of pipe, or broom handle, finding the balance point for best seesaw action, and marking the tube, or dovetail plate, at that point. If you are also fitting a camera in place of the eyepiece, you will probably need to mark a second balance point.

Regards,

Geoff

Thanks and sorry for my late answer. I don't know where I can borrow a voltmeter so I guess I just have to wait until the package from FLO arrive. It feels safer :) Meanwhile I just have to wait for clear skies and get to know my scope and mount without power :p:o 

Got a message from DHL and the package from FLO will not arrive until 9th of March :( So would like to find one here in Norway as well so I can use the Synscan this week. How about this one? :) 

Type: Switched transformer
Input voltage: 220-240 V
Input current: 0.6 A
Output current: 6A
Output: 72 W
Output voltage: 12 VDC±0.3 VDC

604149.jpg

Yes that will work., I have used one with my mounts.

Have you considered getting a battery pack instead, that way you will have something to use if you ever want to go mobile. In the UK they cost about £40, and can be picked up in places that sell car accessories, amazon also do them. 

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/battery-chargers-jump-starters/phaze-4-in-1-jump-starter

2 hours ago, JonC said:

Yes that will work., I have used one with my mounts.

Have you considered getting a battery pack instead, that way you will have something to use if you ever want to go mobile. In the UK they cost about £40, and can be picked up in places that sell car accessories, amazon also do them. 

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/battery-chargers-jump-starters/phaze-4-in-1-jump-starter

Thank you :) Yes, I will buy a battery pack as well. I am really grateful for all help from you guys! Just love this hobby and use a lot of time on this forum and still learing every day. Thank you :)

Archived