SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A new tool for the beginners

andreaconsole

First of all, a big salute to everyone, it's been a while from my latest post...

I hope I'm posting in the right subforum.

What I'd like to present today is a little tool I made for the beginners, just translated from Italian to English. It's a web-based questionnaire. Its main aim is to give the beginner a hint about what it's important for him to consider when he' choosing his first telescope. The output of this questionnaire is a suggested "best option", but it's meant as an educational answer more than as a prescription. Moreover, it just states my personal view, and I'm sure that not all of you will agree with the results. For this reason, before commenting on that, please just keep in mind that I wanted to keep the complexity and the verbosity of the questionnaire at a minimum level, so there is for sure a lot of information missing. But again, the purpose is not giving the perfect answer for the telescope that best fit your need. Very often, beginners start to talk about buying a telescope without any idea of what it means. Thus, you have to ask them, every single time, if they know about their LP situation, about their primary target, about their knowledge of the sky and so on... which is kind of boring. This tool aims at giving them some hints about what to ask; it's not meant to substitute the power of a forum, but to introduce to it. After taking this test, the beginner will hopefully have some very basic awareness about amateur astronomy and will ask more focused questions. 

Sorry for this long introduction, but I'd like to avoid misunderstandings on the purpose of this tool.

The English language in the questionnaire has been already checked (I'm not a native speaker), but if you want to come with any suggestion, you are very welcomed.

This is the link to the tool:
http://andreaconsole.altervista.org/myfirstscope/index.php?language=eng&answers=intro

Enjoy

Archived