Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

'nifty fifty'

Greetings all,

After saving a few pennies, I have invested in a nifty fifty canon 50mm f1.8 prime lens.

I know that they need to be stopped back to f2-4 to avoid coma.......but do you all have any further tips with using these? and your favourite targets for the nifty fifty?

Remembering of course that I am southern hemisphere based.

I intend to use it widefield on my 1000D unmodded and my 40D modded dslr.

I look forward to your expertise :)

cheers,

Andy

1 hour ago, Andywilliams said:

Greetings all,

After saving a few pennies, I have invested in a nifty fifty canon 50mm f1.8 prime lens.

I know that they need to be stopped back to f2-4 to avoid coma.......but do you all have any further tips with using these? and your favourite targets for the nifty fifty?

Remembering of course that I am southern hemisphere based.

I intend to use it widefield on my 1000D unmodded and my 40D modded dslr.

I look forward to your expertise :)

cheers,

Andy

You could try the milky way,  the southern pleiades,  eta carina nebula too,  large magellanic cloud if it's still visible where you live.  With the 50mm you'll get a lot of objects in frame. 

Do you have stellarium installed?  If not,  it is a handy program for finding targets and getting to know what's visible. 

Stick close to the f/4 area, and adjust the ISO towards better quality if you start blowing out the image with too much light. I'd rather reduce noise then stop down(YMMV)

Have fun, shoot a LOT of data!

Scott

It is a really good lens! However you need to stop it down not just because of coma, but also because of the color in the stars.

from light-polluted Oslo: Nikon d3300 (Nikon type nifty fifty) at 2.8 (I think) no tracking, 30X6sec exposures.

IMG_6130.JPG

IMG_6131.JPG

IMG_6132.JPG

You can see what I mean with colors in the stars, can't you? They get kinda blue'ish.

Clear skies!

Victor Boesen

8 hours ago, johnfosteruk said:

My first thought is that if you're tracking for 180 seconds stop it down further. Go to F5 or F6

Personally, I wouldn't stop it down this much as that greatly reduces the signal (f5.6 is half the aperture of f4). With thirds-focussing I've used this lens at f4.5, the corner stars are pretty good at this focal ratio.

30448785536_618ea389a8_h.jpg

Sometimes lens imaging can be a bit of a compromise between star shapes and signal-to-noise ratio.

I had a nifty fifty and found that (even for photographic subjects) I had to use it at at least f/2.8 (and that was a compromise)... For astrophoto I remember taking it to f/3.5 when I was thirsty for light, but that was pushing it... My lens had an astrophoto sweet spot at around f/4.

Hope it helps...

Cheers,

I have the 40mm EF pancake lens it makes a great everyday lens as so small and tidy, but for astro my preferred lens is a vintage 50mm all manual lens including p&p under £25 (plus £7 adaptor)  Fast at f2 and good star shapes so I only stop it down a little bit. I like and prefer prime lenses (none zoom).

On a 1100d

Hi Andy,

I found the Antares region very rewarding for the 50mm lens. 30 x 30sec, f/3.2 and ISO400. But anywhere along the Milky Way will be nice. I really like this lens for wide field.

Antares.jpg

Good luck and clear skies!

HJ

Archived