SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Thoughts on my forthcoming astronomy talk

RobertI

I'd appreciate some moral support from fellow SGL'ers on a forthcoming presentation I am doing. Every month my department at work has a monthly meeting, and there is an 'On the Spot' session where someone talks about a hobby or interest they have. Previous presenters have talked about cider making, international competition cycling, jousting (!) and gaff-rigged sailing boats. This month is my turn and I plan to talk about astronomy. Having done a bit of research with some colleagues, people seem to be interested in what I personally do, as well as astronomy itself. I guess people want an insight into their colleagues and what they get up to in their spare time. 

My plan is to take along a couple of my OTAs - the C8 and the Megrez 72mm - and present around 25 slides. So far the structure is to introduce the universe and its treasures, then talk about amatuer astronomy, then describe my equipment and then finish by giving some examples of what can be experienced with this kind of equipment. 

In more detail:

• A whistle stop tour of the universe - about 10 slides describing the solar system, objects in our galaxy, our galaxy itself and the universe beyond, including a pic of the Hubble Deep Field image.
  • A couple of slides describing types of amateur astronomy; visual, imaging and EAA, which is my special interest.
  • Approx 6 slides of my various scopes and cameras -at this point I shall hand round the Megrez for people to have a look at and talk about the C8
  • Approx 4 slides showing different DSOs as they would appear visually in a 72mm and 200mm scope (sketches I have gleaned from the web) and also some example EAA images I have taken of the same DSOs.
  • Approx 3 slides comparing Jupiter, Saturn and the moon visually in a 72mm and 200mm

What do people think of this approach? Any thoughts appreciated!

Rob

I would be tempted to add only one thing. If people are interested in what you personally do, they're also going to want to know why so I'm thinking Sagan/Cox/Degrasse Tyson style segment about why. You know, star stuff, pale blue dot, origins, what we learn from spectra etc. Just a few thoughts. Best of luck with it.

I think that's got all the hallmarks of a great session, Rob.  Most of the focus should definitely be on you and your hobby, as opposed to the background (after all, they could read about the background to galaxies, the universe etc on the web, but they only get to hear about you from you).  One thought if it's practical - maybe some white light solar in the car park at lunchtime?  

All the best with your talk!

Paul

Sounds great! :)

Good idea to include sketches to emphasize just how much can be seen with entry level scopes from a back garden - and how they are vastly superior to what Galileo and the early pioneers had when they revolutionized our understanding of our place in the universe.

Jousting!!!

I wouldn't hand out the Megrez, maybe have it on a tripod for people to look at afterwards when you get questions. Only say this as I have seen one item of £200-£300 evapoate in to thin air. The other aspect is that you may treat it carefully but why do you think anyone else will do so or even want to.

Go through several dry runs at home so that the talk appears relaxed and extemperanious. May be even invite family members or a friend to act as your audience and to comment on the presentation.

Stick to what you know and your natural enthusiasm will win your audience over, even if they have little personal interest. 

May be use images of your equipment rather than carrying and setting up the real thing!

Mike

A very interesting program; I'd like to listen to that myself...

What about some handouts, e.g. a star map for the next month (downloadable; I think, members from here will support you with some links)? Some internet links might be added; there are even downloadable planispheres available.

Many people have binoculars at home, that are never pointed at the sky; so tell them, what they can view with these - moon, Jupiter's moons, brighter DSO's, comets. A few hints to things, that can be observed naked eye at the moment; Venus; later on Jupiter; two or three constellations.

Good luck, and have fun!

Stephan

I think you have it nailed Rob.  I don't know what time you are allocated for this talk,
but you seem to have a good cross section there. I think the slides will draw a few gasps.
It still surprises me how little the general Joe public know about the night sky above their heads.
You will do OK, and hopefully you can gain a few recruits to SGL as a result of your eye opening Lecture :biggrin:.
Good Luck anyway. Not that you will need it.

How about a few comments suggesting to folks that if they want to try it for themselves a chain store telescope isn't the best way forwards.  I know I splurged a little (OK..... a lot!) on my fancy Goto system when I perhaps didn't need to (I still like it though), but since buying it I've been astonished at how cheap basic, but 'proper' quality telescopes are - something quite useable can be purchased for <£200 and such knowledge may stop people dashing out and spending silly money on 'silly' equipment.

Thanks for all the fantastic replies everyone, some great advice and encouragement. :thumbsup:

@johnfosteruk That's a great idea to include how i started and what inspired me at the time. I actually had a drink with Patrick Moore down the pub when I was 15 (I had a coke!) - that was pretty inspiring. :) 

@FenlandPaul Never thought about white light solar, I had been considering the moon, but your idea is better! I may do it if I'm brave enough. 

@ronin @happy-kat Good call about not handing out the scope, on reflection you are absolutely right - it only takes one person to drop it :eek:

@mikeDnight I will definitely practice, I think my wife may be the main victim

@Nyctimene Thank you! I will include something on binoculars as I am a huge fan and most people have them as you say.

@barkis Thank you. I am hoping to take them away from their work worries for half an hour.    

@JOC You are right - I shall definitely mention about the dodgy scopes on sale, in fact I shall simply tell them to come and see me before they buy anything! :) I have advised a few people on scopes, having consulted my esteemed SGL members first, the main problem seems to be getting people to actually go outside into the cold and actually use them!

Thanks again folks.

Maybe mention that one can see lots of stuff with the naked eye. People ofted don't believe me when I point out to the sky and tell them that "hey, look, Jupiter/Mars/Venus/Saturn is there". The general knowledge about night sky is pretty low. People don't know that planets are actually very easy to find, that they follow the same path as Sun does, that they rise in the east and set in the west, they know nothing about ecliptic, etc.

Also the advice with binoculars, I second that. Many many people have some simple bins or a monocular scope at home and they never even pointed it at the Moon. I would try to show them an image of the Moon as seen through bins like 10x50 or an image of Jupiter as seen through an entry level scope such as ST80, or Heritage 130p ("you guys can try it yourself for $200!!!"), or an image of M45 as seen through small bins (which is breathtaking) to encourage them and show them that it's not rocket science and you don't need $1000+ telescope to actually enjoy stuff.

Btw, great idea!

Looks like a good structure for a talk Rob.

I am thinking of volunteering (I know.....) to do a similar thing at my local societies stargazing live event- Amateur Astonomy for newbies from the perspective of a newbie.

Sounds cool! We do some talks within our soc and what goes down really well is some of the relative star size animations, from Earth size to the Sun and then on to the larger stars for instance. Hooking up a planetarium system (Stellarium/Sky Safari) to the projector is also pretty cool to show if you want to show where in the sky some of your EAA objects are. However, I agree that you should focus on your interest in it, the personal touch.

Thanks for the comments. I really hope I get some questions at the end, I am envisaging blank faces and a stunned silence! :) 

Stellarium is pretty cool and I would love to use it.......perhaps the Q & A's might give me an opportunity.

I was approached to day by a colleague who was curious about my talk. It turns out that he has a Meade LX200 and a Pulsar observatory!! Sadly, due to personal circumstances the LX200 is lying unused in a barn and the dome is empty. :undecided: Hoping I can rekindle his interest.

10 hours ago, RobertI said:

Hoping I can rekindle his interest.

Well if you can't ask him how far away he lives and would he mind if you went and had a borrow!!  LOL

I've just spotted - 'near Colchester' - that's not a million miles away from me - 'I'd put down South of Maldon' - 'hello' fellow Essex person!

• 1 month later...

Well, last week I finally did the talk and I am relieved to say it went down very well. Phew! Thanks to everyone here for all your comments and support, it really helped.

Fortunately I controlled the nerves and In the end I think I think the subject spoke for itself - it never fails to enthrall people.

A number of people contacted me after the talk seeking advice on how how to get started, how to get their children started or how to put together the telescope they were given as a gift several years ago! :icon_biggrin: The talk was also video'd for other staff but annoyingly only five seconds came out so it was never shown. :angry1:

Anyway I have nice a nice warm glow and sense of pride at having spread the word about this great hobby. Thanks again for your help. :icon_salut:

@JOC - Did a quick search and I think I now know what are referring to. Looks intruiging and the sort of thing I would like to do one day, though time is very scarce at this point in my life. What does STEM stand for? 

49 minutes ago, Dave Lloyd said:

Science, technology, engineering, maths.

That's right :-D

1 hour ago, RobertI said:

Looks intruiging and the sort of thing I would like to do one day

It was very easy to get involved.  I filled in a form and the local organiser sent around a chap for an hour to do an orientation talk (I think sometimes you can go to them), they do one of those crime check searches and then you get a card that identifies you and a badge.  Then they send round a 2 weekly email with schools that need help and you pick those that you can fit in.  You only have to commit to one event each year, but most people do more than that.  I do careers evenings, and can fit in some weekdays for schools talks as I don't work for an employer every day.  They also have outreach sessions with teachers and social events for Ambassadors which also count.  I don't have a job which gives me access to many physical resources, but just some hands on to help with events, or Powerpoint presentations for students and an enthusiastic approach is often all that's needed.  I have also picked up odd demo bits along the way and for younger kids its amazing how far blowing up balloons on bottles with baking soda and vinegar will get you. 

It is quite literally the most rewarding thing I've ever done beyond raising my family and I cannot recommend it enough if you fancy giving something back and trying to inspire the next generation of STEM employees.

https://www.stem.org.uk/stem-ambassadors/ambassadors

Archived