Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which mount?

Daz69

Evening all.

My second hand SW200p scope is coming on Wednesday. It is coming with tube rings, dovetail bar and 9x50 finder, but no mount. Which one will I need? I cannot afford a GOTO so will have to be Alt/Az or Equatorial, but I have no idea of the weight. 

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

They are often supplied with an EQ5 as a package, but the general opinion is that the EQ5 is just able to handle the 200P for visual and that really the HEQ5 is a better option, and necessary if future AP is intended.

Not sure if you can buy an HEQ5 without goto at present, will go check.

Cannot see an HEQ5 without goto (FLO site), so that might restrict you somewhat.

5 hours ago, laudropb said:

If this is purely for visual why not go for a Dobsonian mount.

I would like to progress to AP at some stage, and I have found a new EQ5 with tripod for £251, but it will have to wait. I've no issues making a dob mount as I have various machines, inc a bandsaw, a big tablesaw and router table in my workshop, a pile of .5" ply, and I'm good with wood, but how would I make this type of tube fit onto a dob? Will have to research that. I suppose I could screw 2 wood circles on the sides through the tube, and if I ever went to AP and a tripod, just blank the holes?? 

44 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

Skytee II mount on a Berlebach tripod on sale on ABS for £300. Just gone on today.

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=123043

Thanks for the heads-up, but zero funds at the mo. I'm probably going to go with a dob mount for now as I have a decent stock of ply in my workshop, and when funds allow look for a HEQ5 with GOTO perhaps. 

Archived