SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

eta carinae nebula

Atreta

Hi

This one is eta carinae nebula, visible only from the southern hemisphere

from wikipedia: " The Carina Nebula (catalogued as NGC 3372; also known as the Grand Nebula, Great Nebula in Carina, or Eta Carinae Nebula) is a large, complex area of bright and dark nebulosity in the constellation Carina, and is located in the Carina–Sagittarius Arm. The nebula lies at an estimated distance between 6,500 and 10,000 light-years (2,000 and 3,100 pc) from Earth. "

this is my latest imaging attempt. it consists of 2 hours of integration time, gathered in two different nights.

i could get more data, but clouds were rolling in and it was kinda late too, so i packed up and went to try some processing. i'll try to gather more data in the next days.

63 x 120s lights iso 800

13 x 120s darks 

canon t5i and 135 mm lens close to f5

stacked in dss and processed with photoshop.

carina 2 hours applied.jpg

bellow is a crop of the center:

carina 2 hours applied crop.jpg

c&c always welcome :)

i've uploaded too the fits file so anyone  who wants to have a go and process it too is welcome to do it :)

Autosave001.fts

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, CraigT82 said:

Lovely image! That lens is doing well, which one is it?  I'd be tempted to boost the colour saturation a little and maybe the contrast to make the nebula 'pop' a bit more 

thank you, the lens is a tokina rmc 135mm f2.8 but it shows too much chromatic aberration wide open, i have to stop it till f5.

i'll give a try with contrast and saturation like you said.

40 minutes ago, jabeoo1 said:

Lovely to see it imaged, this object unbelievable, one of fascination and wonder. 

thank you, there are some nice targets in the southern hemisphere, like the magellanic clouds.

10 minutes ago, Galen Gilmore said:

Fascinating Image! It would be nice to travel to the Southern Hemisphere sometime to look at everything the southern sky has to offer.

thank you, i'm sure you would love the sights here.

i'm planning to go to Chile this year to see the skies at the Atacama desert, maybe there will be someone from sgl there too, it would be really nice.

4 minutes ago, SteveNickolls said:

Thanks for this opportunity Atreta. I've used StarTools to process the image.

Best regards,
Steve

Eta Carina_SGL.jpg

thank you, i'm trying startools also, it seems pretty simple to use it but i have to watch and read some tutorials to get better at it.

1 hour ago, wimvb said:

PixInsight:

Dynamic crop, DBE, colour calibration

Masked stretch and saturation enhancement

chroma noise reduction

resampled and converted to jpeg

Thanks for sharing the data

looking very good.

thanks, i got a time limited license of pixinsight too. do you know any good beginner guides?

22 hours ago, Star101 said:

I spent a few minutes on this. Thanks for the opportunity.

Full image processed in PI

Nice one,  thanks. 

19 hours ago, Nova2000 said:

Wow nice image. I'm lucky to be near equality I miss megallanic clouds :(

Yeah,  the magellanic clouds are behind buildings in here :(

9 hours ago, Astrosurf said:

Gorgeous image.

Alexxx

Thank you Alex

6 hours ago, bottletopburly said:

replayed with data better outcome this time 

ETA CARINAMK2.jpg

Very good,  thank you. 

1 hour ago, wimvb said:

A more aggressive rework.

Unfortunately the downsampling blew the core of the small cluster to the left of the nebula. It is just resolved in the original.

EtaCar_rgb_rereg_HSV_clone.jpg

Wow,  that one looks real nice.  Is there a way for me to change the magenta in photoshop to a more red looking? 

I think there must be, but I don't use PS, so I'm not sure how. If you start playing with colour balance to alter the stars at the bottom, you may end up with odd coloured stars in the rest of the image. That's why I didn't bother too much with these. There was also some chromatic aberration which I tried to reduce by splitting the rgb channels and realigning them.

Cheers,

On 2/21/2017 at 03:38, wimvb said:

I think there must be, but I don't use PS, so I'm not sure how. If you start playing with colour balance to alter the stars at the bottom, you may end up with odd coloured stars in the rest of the image. That's why I didn't bother too much with these. There was also some chromatic aberration which I tried to reduce by splitting the rgb channels and realigning them.

Cheers,

I was think mainly about the magenta in the nebula,  to make it look more red. 

On 2/22/2017 at 12:45, jimbo747 said:

Love it when with the same data how differently people process an image.

I find that interesting too. 

Making the nebula more intense red, can certainly be done with careful masking and colour adjustment. But you'd have to be careful to exclude stars, as you will otherwise increase the red halo, that some already have.

Also remember that the intense red you see in nebulae images, is the result from adding narrowband Ha to rgb data. Rgb images, even with modified dslr cameras, don't always have this appearance. Personally, I wouldn't deviate too much from the original colour balance. But in the end it all comes down to personal taste.

Archived