Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

MaK-Cas and laser collimation

Hi All,

I have a question regarding laser collimators and Maksutov-Cassegrains. I have suspected that my two laser collimators themselves need collimating, so I had what I thought was a brilliant idea. I know my Mak-Cas (Nexstar 4se) is perfectly collimated by performing a star test, central spot and concentric Airy rings., I thought that if I dropped a laser into the eypiece the dot would hit the central mirror on the corrector plate. This is not the case, the dot emerges through the corrector plate near the outer edge at about 12 o'clock, with BOTH lasers, one straight from the manufacturer and one that has itself been collimated. This makes me suspicious - is it wrong to use a laser with a Mak-Cas?  (Please note - I am not asking about collimating collimators, I know they need collimating).

Archived