SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

8" dob

Hello everybody, I currently have a 4.5" dob from Orion but I already have a bad case of aperture fever. I want to get an 8" but I don't know what would be a good choice. I was thinking about an 8" dob from skywatcher or Orion, but I'm also getting into astrophotography so mabye something with an EQ mount. I also don't want to spend more than $450, mabye $500

An 8" Dob is a good choice for purely visual use but if you want to get into astrophotography you'll need to increase your budget just for the mount. The two different disciplines really require two different setups. The book Making Every Photon Count is usually recommended for anyone thinking about astrophotography. 

11 minutes ago, Ricochet said:

An 8" Dob is a good choice for purely visual use but if you want to get into astrophotography you'll need to increase your budget just for the mount. The two different disciplines really require two different setups. The book Making Every Photon Count is usually recommended for anyone thinking about astrophotography. 

Ok, how much can I expect to spend for a decent astrophotography setup? A telescope plus a simple EQ mount with a motor drive.

FAR above $400. The mount alone will be over $1,000. The book suggested above: "Making Every Photon Count" should give you a good idea of what is required to enter this field of endeavour.

A Dobsonian-mounted Newtonian can be used for brief expores such as planets and our Moon. Video-AP is another option you may wish to research.

Enjoy!

Dave

7 minutes ago, Dave In Vermont said:

FAR above $400. The mount alone will be over $1,000. The book suggested above: "Making Every Photon Count" should give you a good idea of what is required to enter this field of endeavour.

A Dobsonian-mounted Newtonian can be used for brief expores such as planets and our Moon. Video-AP is another option you may wish to research.

Enjoy!

Dave

Thanks Dave, I realize I should probobly get an 8" dobsonian or save up my money for some serious imaging rigs. A bit disappointing but it is what it is.

52 minutes ago, Galen Gilmore said:

Thanks Dave, I realize I should probobly get an 8" dobsonian or save up my money for some serious imaging rigs. A bit disappointing but it is what it is.

I think that's a great idea. If you get into visual observation, it's going to be anything but disappointing. 100% sure!

If you already own a dslr and heavy duty tripod the Skywatcher Star Adventurer might be an option to allow you to just take long exposure photos with the camera. You'll have to do some research into what is achievable with that set up and see if it matches with what you are wanting to do. 

Archived