Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Finally made a filter choice

Moonshane

I have been pondering visual filters for some time now and was initially going to buy used Lumicon Hb,  Oiii and UHC all in 1.25".  However the source I intended using has for various reasons been a bit unresponsive.

This gave me dangerous thinking time and I completely changed my tack!

Thinking of my intended targets I realised that whilst 1.25" filters will will be fine for the Hb and UHC targets (albeit used with an adapter allowing it to be put in the threaded end of a 2"-1.25" reducer), Oiii targets tend to be more extensive and may require a 2" eyepiece.

Therefore I have used up the rest of my birthday money and bought:

New DGM NPB 1.25"

New Astronomik Hb 1.25"

Used Astronomik Oiii 2"

I went with these as they seem to cover smaller scopes as well as larger scopes. Whilst Lumicon is sometimes reported to have a slight edge you read ten reports and get ten differing views. In my expert this suggests that buyer justification of their purchase,  observing conditions and numerous other factors are often as important as any miniscule difference in performance.  Then again maybe I am now justifying my purchases :happy11:

The next year will show whether I have made good choices.  As with most top quality astro brands it's hard to go wrong really.

Nice one Shane, sure you won't regret it.

I actually have a Lumicon Hb which I intend to pass down through the generations, hoping that one day one of the future Davis' gets a chance to see the Horsey ;). Perhaps we could do a side by side in the Peaks?

Good choices Shane :thumbright:

I was intending to have a bash at the HH this evening but the sky was too milky in Orion's direction. The Astronomik HB did show an interesting view of M42 and M43 though. It's interesting to compare the views with this filter, the O-III, the NBP and no filter. Each has a subtly different feel to it drawing out the contrast in the nebulosity in different ways.

One day I'll get that darn nag ! :icon_biggrin:

Archived