stargazine_ep34_banner.thumb.jpg.28dd32d9305c7de9b6591e6bf6600b27.jpg

What telescope would you recommend if I were only allowed one

On 21/02/2017 at 17:25, paulastro said:

I agree with John that globulars are the most obvious indicators of increasing aperture, particularly at the more modest end.  This is one reason I have the 120ED in addition to the 80mm.  For me even a four inch won't quite hit the mark with globulars.

A blackout blanket over your head will greatly improve matters! :icon_cyclops_ani:

Sorry Paul, I couldn't help myself! :grin:

Mike

• Like 1
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have a very bad back after a serious road accident over 30 years ago, so weight and ease of set up are critical for me. Hence why I bought the FC-100DC and Gitzo tripod, which together weigh around

The answer is very simple Martin   Well in my book it is. A Takahashi FC-100DC. Very lightweight and quick to setup, wonderfully sharp and contrasty optics and it just gives consistently lovely v

I'm getting older...so I want a bigger dob...only live once.

Posted Images

On ‎22‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 23:13, mikeDnight said:

A blackout blanket over your head will greatly improve matters! :icon_cyclops_ani:

Sorry Paul, I couldn't help myself! :grin:

Mike

:smile:  A dark cloth will help with dark adaption, but it won't help with resolution, for which the increased aperture is most useful on globulars.  :happy11:

• Like 1
18 hours ago, paulastro said:

:smile:  A dark cloth will help with dark adaption, but it won't help with resolution, for which the increased aperture is most useful on globulars.  :happy11:

Ah yes, I forgot about resolution!

That's why small aperture scopes are next to useless on DSO's, especially globulars! I must remember to remember that aperture is king! :icon_salut:

2017-02-26 15.06.19.jpg

2017-02-26 15.07.12.jpg

• Like 3

Thats a superb image Mike and a wonderfull piece of skilled observing with a small aperture.

I have to say though that I need 12" of aperture to get those sorts of views. Oh I have observed these objects many times with my refractors and I've tried the dark cloth method, excellent eyepieces, observing under dark skies etc but I've never got anywhere near such levels of detail with a 4" or even 5" aperture in my 30+ years of observing.

I salute your observing powers Sir :icon_salut:

But others might need more aperture to achieve similar results.

Edited by John
  • Like 2
32 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

Ah yes, I forgot about resolution!

That's why small aperture scopes are next to useless on DSO's, especially globulars! I must remember to remember that aperture is king! :icon_salut:

Deliberately mis-representing what I said, AND sarcasm, tut tut Mike.  It's a good job you're my chum!  :lol:

59 minutes ago, John said:

Thats a superb image Mike and a wonderfull piece of skilled observing with a small aperture.

I have to say though that I need 12" of aperture to get those sorts of views. Oh I have observed these objects many times with my refractors and I've tried the dark cloth method, excellent eyepieces, observing under dark skies etc but I've never got anywhere near such levels of detail with a 4" or even 5" aperture in my 30+ years of observing.

I salute your observing powers Sir :icon_salut:

But others might need more aperture to achieve similar results.

Hi John,

That observation of M13 was made at a fairly dark sight and not from town, and under transparent skies. I'm under no illusions about the advantage that larger aperture scopes offer, especially on objects like galaxies and globulars. M13 is one of a very small number that I feel looks good even in a 4".  A 12" scope would be superb for observing glob's, and no small aperture high end scope will beat it on such an object. I still feel that small scopes can often deliver some pretty outstanding views under the right conditions. And owners of such instruments can still thoroughly enjoy themselves hunting these fuzzies and teasing out the detail.

You're very kind in your opinion of my skill as an observer! I suppose we all differ to some degree with regard to our eyesight, but aperture really counts in resolving tight globulars, and just as you say, others may need greater apertures. 

Mike

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, paulastro said:

:headbang::headbang::headbang:  I'm still determined to see Venus later than you do as it heads towards the sun!  If I wasn't brassic we could have a bet :lol:

Be fair to suggest that if you weren't involved in this hobby, you wouldn't be brassic? :)

The kit, or the alcohol to numb the disappointments ......

• Like 1
1 hour ago, JeremyS said:

That's a wonderful drawing of M13 through the Tak FS128, Mike!

All the best,

Jeremy

I failed to read the inscription on the drawing and thought it was made with Mike's Tak 100 :rolleyes2:

It's a super drawing even with the FS 128mm but there was a clear inch more fine aperture than I was thinking !

I'll be interested see what my LZOS 130 makes of M13 later in the year. I'll be happy indeed if the view is anything like Mikes drawing :smiley:

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, John said:

I failed to read the inscription on the drawing and thought it was made with Mike's Tak 100 :rolleyes2:

It's a super drawing even with the FS 128mm but there was a clear inch more fine aperture than I was thinking !

I'll be interested see what my LZOS 130 makes of M13 later in the year. I'll be happy indeed if the view is anything like Mikes drawing :smiley:

I think we would all be happy just to be able to 'see' it..... or anything else the way the weathers looking for the next few weeks :(

Perhaps we should arrange a 'everyone take the same target' exercise over a month? to get comparison of optics etc.?

• Like 2