SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Autoguiding Problem PLEASE HELP

Darien

Hello fellow Astronomers!

I've been having and issue with my auto guiding  for quite sometime now and this issue started mid December while imaging the fireworks galaxy at my university's observatory to which when I was finishing my alignment process and camera configuration then applying the auto guider on my guide scope. While opening up PHD2 and calibrating the star I noticed the star wouldn't even move at all in fact it would take 60 west steps till the error message popped up saying," RA calibration failed star didn't move enough". Though I realized that the port on my AVX mount for guiding had been damage somewhat so I sent it over to Celestron for repairs. Unfortunately however after nearly a month after I received a noticed that UPS lost my mount which resulted in replacing the mount for a  new one. Just recently on Wednesday I went to the observatory again to start my imaging of the Flame Nebula. Now the during the calibration of the auto guider the star does move now so I know it is not the mount that's the issue because even with the new mount the same error message that I've received from the past keeps popping up. The guide cable that runs to the SSAG the teeth on it was damaged and I've been the using the one to my ZWO planetary imager to the SSAG. You would think it wouldn't make a difference seeing their guide cables both should work correctively but no! Even with the ZWO guide cable the same error message pops up. I've even put 5 points on both + and - on the DEC for anti-backlash which on the my old mount(Same mount) fixed my solution with the autoguiding. And yes ive done all the procedures as followed:

1.accurate polar alignment

2. mount is east heavy

3. put the correct settings for the SSAG including the focal length of the guide scope (400mm)into PHD

4. Checked to make sure the SSAG isn't damaged which it isn't

I know it also isn't my mount because on the live feed on PHD the guide stars aren't moving which concludes my mount is tracking properly. Ive contacted Celestron and told them about the situation and they said it could be because their different cables seeing one is from a planetary imager and the other is from a SSAG for Deep space. Though when contacting Orion I bought a replacement cable but they said the complete opposite of what Celestron said. I'm still awaiting for the arrival of the new cable, but my only conclusion is because of the cable that came with the SSAG because besides the mount I haven't had any guiding problems since that cable broke. What are your thoughts about this?

Best Regards,

Darien Perla

#3 yes all good but after that did you use the calibration step calculator and then input that figure into the calibration step box?  It may not be possible to get a calibration and then actually start guiding unless you do.

1 minute ago, Leveye said:

#3 yes all good but after that did you use the calibration step calculator and then input that figure into the calibration step box?  It may not be possible to get a calibration and then actually start guiding unless you do.

Yes indeed I did mine was set at 750 which was what I had prior and worked absolutely fine.

11 minutes ago, Darien said:

Yes indeed I did mine was set at 750 which was what I had prior and worked absolutely fine.

Then try slewing the RA and DEC with the HC. If they work then those cables are good. For sure check your autoguiiding cables. Just because they are new does not mean good. Boy have I learned that lesson. Hope you can figure it all out.

Archived