Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Twilight planets and colours

Size9Hex

It was a beautiful view earlier this evening, with the haze clearing for a short period as the sun set. Venus showed a very attractive cream coloured crescent with the orange/red giant 45 Psc poking through the twilight. The sharpness of the form at the poles really caught my eye. As the sky darkened, Mars joined the scene as a dim orange ember, with lanes of light cloud bringing out the deep blue of the sky.

It inspired me enough to get the (digital) sketchbook out to capture the view and particularly the colours. Eyepiece views sketched at the eyepiece, but tidied up a little subsequently. Naked eye view sketched from memory. Hope you like them!

Twilight Venus:

IMG_0108.PNG

IMG_0109.PNG

Naked eye Venus and Mars:

IMG_0110.PNG

Thanks for the kind words chaps! I've only just started astro sketching and am still trying to find an approach that works.

@johnfosteruk, you're right about Venus - it's amazing to me too. Really shows the dynamics of the solar system in action. Looking forwards to seeing how it develops before it disappears into the sun again. Hopefully we'll all get some good views of it.

Archived