Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Vixen GP2 - Tracking options

Alan White

After my shocking change of tack to a Vixen GP2 mount from alt az, I am after some advice please.

Having just bought a little used Vixen GP2 I am looking at tracking options for visual use.

The intention is manual use as proof of concept for my requirement and then to motorise it somehow, I know the options are diverse.

Who has similar mounts and have you motorised it, if yes, how please and your feedback.

It will be fitted to my cig-5 2" steel leg tripod and the 16" riser.

There are Vixens own motors:

https://www.vixenoptics.co.uk/Pages/motors_controllers_menu.htm

I think I've read more than once that the motors and controller for the Bresser Mon2 mounts will also fit and work with the Vixen GP mounts but it would be best if someone could confirm that :icon_scratch:

https://www.telescopehouse.com/bresser-messier-ra-dec-motor-mon2.html

I'm pretty sure any of the EQ5 motor sets and Goto systems will fit the GP, just need to check the GP2 is the same, I assume it is, but you know what happens when you assume ;) 

I used an iOptron GotoNova on mine for a while, work very well, with fast, if a little noisy slews. Goto was nice and accurate.

I have since reverted to a set of MT1 motors which just give nice quiet tracking and up to x32 slews i.e. Not fast! I am not interested in Goto really, I just use it for planetary observing and being able to pan across the face of the sun or moon. Nice and relaxed. I think I have an old DD1 controller which is perfectly adequate.

I'm also experimenting with some long control cables to see how I get on with those.

Can't speak about the GP2 but I motorised my GP. It has 144 gearing so Skywatcher goto kit fitted. No doubt a simple dual drive motor would do the same. Just check its 144 gear ratio, same as EQ5 and CG5 which are GP clones. The Vixen mounts as you will find are very smooth.

Vixen made some changes with the GP2 motor housing. Its not clear if the old vixen drives fit but your best bet is talk to a dealer. I will add that I have been using vixen drives and controller on an EQ5 for ten or more years and they are typical Japanese quality.

This info implies that the MT1 motors still fit the GP2

Vixen's DD3 dual-axis controller is for use with two optional #3752 Vixen MT-1 motor drives. These are compatible with Vixen's GP Mounts, Great Polaris, Great Polaris D2, and Great Polaris Economy German Equatorial Mounts and on telescopes using these mounts. 

When controlled by the DD3 Controller, the accuracy of the MT-1 motor drive is within +/0.005% of the sidereal rate. Powered by 8 user supplied D batteries, this will run for approximately 20 hours. Vixen's optional #3599 AC Adaptor is available as is an optional #3828 Manual Operation Clutch, recommended if manual turning on one or both axis is to be retained. Compatible with Vixen's Cigarette lighter plug cord-SX - Item #8644. 
Specifications
* Provides 32X sidereal for general movement and 2X sidereal north, south, west and shutoff east for astrophotographic guiding. Includes Auto Guider Port. 
* Weight 1 lb. without batteries
* Boxed 8.5 x 6.25 x 3 inches

Review link here 

http://www.astronomy.com/~/media/Files/PDF/Equipment reviews/2013/0613_Vixen-GPD2-Mount.pdf

I'm sure @pete_gamby will confirm

9 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

I've also used EQ5 motors on my GP. The socket for the RA motor didn't perfectly align with the hole in the Vixen motor cover, but it wasn't far off. A bit of jiggery pokery is needed but it works and is a fraction of the Vixen price.

Mike, are these the Skywatcher ones?

Are they ok for visual, and any idea if the Vixen motors are quieter, better or similar, because as you say a big price difference.

Thank you all for your input.

The three options are:   

1. MT1 motors and DD-3 handset for Vixen quality and quietness and of course that costs about £359
2. Skywatcher et al EQ5 motors and handset, about £130
3. Skywatcher et al EQ5 goto or similar, about, £300.

As I do not hanker for go-to I can dismiss option 3. leaves me with a quality or cost conundrum heart over head issue.
Any thoughts please, will help me resolve this one.

34 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Thank you all for your input.

The three options are:   

1. MT1 motors and DD-3 handset for Vixen quality and quietness and of course that costs about £359
2. Skywatcher et al EQ5 motors and handset, about £130
3. Skywatcher et al EQ5 goto or similar, about, £300.

As I do not hanker for go-to I can dismiss option 3. leaves me with a quality or cost conundrum heart over head issue.
Any thoughts please, will help me resolve this one.

You could keep an eye out for used Vixen ones, you can pick up a set with controller for a lot less than £359!

3 hours ago, Stu said:

You could keep an eye out for used Vixen ones, you can pick up a set with controller for a lot less than £359!

Stu, I will bide my time, the manual controls will do for a start anyway.
Worse case I go skywatcher basic set.

10 hours ago, Alan White said:

Mike, are these the Skywatcher ones?

Are they ok for visual, and any idea if the Vixen motors are quieter, better or similar, because as you say a big price difference.

Yes they are SkyWatcher! I've not really noticed a difference in the noise they make, so if there is a difference its not great.

If you do find a Vixen motor drive, just be aware that they are the opposite polarity than the SW drives. Some people have blown their Vixen motor drives by connecting them wrongly to a transformer or power tank.

I've got Vixen motors on my mount but there's a fault on the RA motor that makes it temperamental. I'm probably going to fit SW drives to it before too long.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

As an update, 

Went for the Skywatcher Enhanced dual drive kit, have just fitted it and it's far quieter than I expected, very pleased.

Just need a pointing at the sky to really try it out ?

Please remind  me what's a clear sky?

Archived