Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Welcome to Stargazers Lounge

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customise your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_satellites_v2.jpg

PeterW

Wide field trial.

4 posts in this topic

Quick trial of some new old bins (probably more vintage than I am), bushnell 7x35 rangemaster. 77degree apparent field of view and razor sharp. Even from my nicely light polluted back yard there are lots of fun tiny little sparkly stars wherever I look. Picked up the usual clusters (Pleiades, hyades, alpha Persei, lambda orionis, beehive,m35-38.....) before the clouds gradually covered them up. Just need some darker skies to do some more space walking. 

PeterW

7 people like this

I have an old pair of 7x35 binoculars with a similarly huge field of view. They are branded "Boots Fleet", made in Japan and claim a field of view of 11 degrees !

I managed to see M33 with them on a darkish night. Normally they are our garden birding bins because they focus nice and close.

Hope to take them birding soon, wide and sharp should help with things flirting about.  These things are essentially two huge prisms with big eyepieces and tiny objectives glued on, odd looking.

peter

I recently bought some vintage 7x35 binoculars with a huge 10 degree FOV. Stars are sharp almost to the edge of the field and the coloured ones really stand out. A lot of fun to use on clear dark nights.

1 person likes this