Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Planetary Images 2016

festoon

Images I took in 2016 with a variety of telescopes and also with my Canon 350D

Although not brilliant I have had great enjoyment in the process :) I have learnt a lot about our close neighbours in the meantime also :) I've used these as a way of learning names of moons and craters, and also experimenting with stacking programs.

I'm still new to imaging and always wanting to learn more, so if you have any tips or suggestions please get in touch

If this is in the wrong place, please let me know!

Cheers,

Colin

Slide1.JPG

Slide2.JPG

Slide3.JPG

Slide4.JPG

A fine set of images, Lunar and planetary! Some nice detail showing on all the images and some pleasing events captured too. Its particularly nice to see transits as they convey the dynamic nature of the planets, something that isn't always very apparent.

Have you considered a dedicated "webcam" type camera, rather than your DSLR. Whether you choose mono or OSC I would expect the results to be better than your DSLR.

13 minutes ago, bunnygod1 said:

A fine set of images, Lunar and planetary! Some nice detail showing on all the images and some pleasing events captured too. Its particularly nice to see transits as they convey the dynamic nature of the planets, something that isn't always very apparent.

Have you considered a dedicated "webcam" type camera, rather than your DSLR. Whether you choose mono or OSC I would expect the results to be better than your DSLR.

Thank you for your comments. I am very happy you like them.

regards the webcam...Sorry I should have said in the post the images of Jupiter and Saturn were taken with a qhy5l-ii colour camera and processed in registax

38 minutes ago, festoon said:

Thank you for your comments. I am very happy you like them.

regards the webcam...Sorry I should have said in the post the images of Jupiter and Saturn were taken with a qhy5l-ii colour camera and processed in registax

I thought they were very good images, especially as Saturn has been a tough target in recent years. What focal length were you imaging at?

Autoatakkert2 is very good for stacking, some processing can also be done in it to give an indication of what detail is visible.

30 minutes ago, Virgoman said:

Ought to be proud of those Colin. A fine collection of images!

Best regards,

Ralph

Thank you Ralph, very kind of you ? I only started imaging last year and it's so nice to see the results! Something you can keep forever ?

2 hours ago, bunnygod1 said:

I thought they were very good images, especially as Saturn has been a tough target in recent years. What focal length were you imaging at?

Autoatakkert2 is very good for stacking, some processing can also be done in it to give an indication of what detail is visible.

The Saturn images were taken with the Orion mak 180 at f/15...2700mm focal length.

i found the 180 mak a great scope for planet viewing and imaging and unfortunately sold it to buy a cpc1100. Only to find the cpc was too heavy for me....

but you learn the hard way!

i have not tried auto stacker ... I'll give it a try next session!

Archived