Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Accessories for 200P Dob

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Scott Brown said:

Yes Ronin I wear glasses for reading. What should I be looking out for? 

Do you wear your glasses when viewing through the scope ?

If you do then you will need to look out for eyepieces with long eye relief. The plossl and orthoscopic (ortho) design eyepieces have short eye relief as the focal length gets shorter than around 12mm - 18mm.

4 minutes ago, John said:

Do you wear your glasses when viewing through the scope ?

If you do then you will need to look out for eyepieces with long eye relief. The plossl and orthoscopic (ortho) design eyepieces have short eye relief as the focal length gets shorter than around 12mm - 18mm.

I'm not sure john, I have only been able to use the scope a couple times and both without glasses. I thought I was ok without the glasses but I will check with them on next time I get a gap in the clouds thanks.

1 hour ago, Scott Brown said:

I'm not sure john, I have only been able to use the scope a couple times and both without glasses. I thought I was ok without the glasses but I will check with them on next time I get a gap in the clouds thanks.

Look at your eyeglass prescription.  If your CYL(inder) correction (astigmatism) is less than about 1.00 (positive or negative), you'll probably be able to get by without eyeglasses for the most part.  Between 1.00 and 2.00,  you'll probably notice sharper views with more pinpoint stars while wearing glasses.  Above 2.00, you'll definitely want to wear glasses to get the sharpest views possible.

At high powers, many folks with astigmatism get by without glasses, but at the lowest powers, even moderate astigmatism will render stars more like crosses than pinpoints of light.

Try viewing with and without glasses.  You may only be able to see the center of the field while wearing glasses with your current eyepieces, but you'll be able to see a difference even in the center if it's going to be seen.  If the view looks the same, good, you can probably get by without glasses.  If the difference is noticeable, it will be a judgement call on your part if it worth wearing glasses to get the sharpest view possible.

Archived